Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Making 7mm-08 brass

One of my co-vid projects has been having a 7mm-08 cobbled together from parts i had accumulated over the last few years. For my last 7mm-08 I was able to access RP brass reasonably cheaply and also run a bit of WW .308 through the FL die to make cases and used them interchangeably.

While the 7mm-08 has never been popular here with the rise of the 6.5 Creedmore, 7-08 rifles and brass are just about non existant. I have found some Lapua 7mm-08 for about $165 / 100 and the Lapua .308 is $30 cheaper. These are still a Rolls Royce options compared to bulk WW .308 brass at $40/100.

My question is if i use WW or other .308 brass to make up my cases am i likely to get enough variation in capacity between brands for issues to arise and are their any brands in particular to stay away from? I read that WW .308 have more capacity than many. Federal have less than most. This may not be true though and I maybe over thinking it.

I'm no reloading expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I presume if you are using different brass, or even different lots, you will get variance. If it's for straight up normal hunting inside 300, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're a precision at all costs person, it won't be good enough. Can you import from NZ?

Greetings Dicko,
    I have made 7mm-08 cases from .308 Win cases in the past without problems. They do come out a bit short as the .308 case is shorter to start with. Case capacities for all brands vary over time but you are probably right in assuming that Federal .308 cases have less capacity. You may also find that the cases produce better accuracy after the first firing as the case body won't be supported by the die quite as well when the necks are sized down. Gerardo is correct in that you should stick to one brand and lot for longer range shooting.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    ..7mm-08 cases from .308 Win cases ... They do come out a bit short as the .308 case is shorter to start with. ..
    The main loss of length arises from part of the .308 neck becoming shoulder. I've used these in the past despite the theoretical risk of a carbon ring forming ahead of the short neck. I didn't find this for the maybe 100 rounds fired from converted cases before I went back to genuine 7-08 cases.

I'll also agree with what @Gerardo and @grandpamac have said. Sticking to one brand at least and one batch is even better. Variance in cases can end up driving you mad, especially if there is a chronograph involved

I wish I had followed that advice when I started out with my rem mag. Buy the Rolls Royce, you won't regret it.

Are you interested I done hornady brass @Dicko ?

I've necked down Lapua .308 to 7/08. Had no issues at all using a standard FL sizing die. I now use Hornady for less mucking around.

As has been said it will work okay, won't get top accuracy with mixed brass but will be fine for hunting. Only thing I'll add is to be careful of changing brass if using hot loads, depending on the powder a hot but safe load on a cold winters day in brass A could be a bad time in brass B in summer.
    Unlikely to cause major issues if you're sensible but something to be aware of.