Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Proudkiwi

Thread: margin of error for powder weights

margin of error for powder weights

i have just started to reload my own rounds for my .243, i have found that measuring weight each load individually is taking me ages as my powder measure isnt the best, i have it set for 40gr but itl give me 39.9-40.2 grains. So should i be worrying about the variation in each pour? will it make that much of a difference to how the bullet shoots etc or should i keep adjusting them as i am until i get better gear? i will be using the rounds for long range varmanting, deer hunting and targets (iv got a couple of .243s). thanks.

just set it to 39.5 then use a powder trickler to top them up. easier to put powder in then take it out. Reloading is never going to be a fast process but you might as well be as accurate as possible

Name:  lyman powder measure.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  30.7 KB

iv got one of these, its hard to even set it for 40gr haha and it dosent have a trickle. i started being fussy but after an hour and only doing 20 rounds it was starting to get old.

ebf
    +1 on the trickler, well worth it for accurate reloading
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Margin for error depens on the powder. I went from no pressure to major pressure in a half grain with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V. Just be careful.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

If you're 'over it' after an hour then reloading is not for you. Just buy factory.

Nicer gear will certainly speed up the process but not by as much as you would think. Truth is, reloading is a black hole of time.
    P38 and kiwijames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    Attachment 9976

iv got one of these, its hard to even set it for 40gr haha and it dosent have a trickle. i started being fussy but after an hour and only doing 20 rounds it was starting to get old.
    I use the powder measure, then check on the digital scale for each. Can roll out a couple of rounds per minute, even being anal.
    Remember to run a container of powder through new powder measures, to ensure you aren't getting errors from static etc.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I gave up on the powder measure, I use a measuring spoon type thing, and a trickler, and weigh every load. Pays to be accurate.

cool ill invest in a trickler then, looks like ill have to get used to measuring every load but thats cool like you say its best to be accurate as possible. im am starting at a minumim load that a gunsmith said to do with a max of 42 grains so hopefully i can get some good results at the range tommorrow.

39.9 - 40.2 is easily within the range of "could give a damn" for 99% of reloaders, plenty of successful BR shooters use charges thrown with a similar degree of accuracy - dont sweat it!

I just bought a Lee anniversary kit as I am loading now for my 223 but also added the frankford arsenal digital scales. Took a while to get the powder measure right but got it throwing 24.2gn every time which I check on the digital scales. Great setup for those just getting into reloading, looking to reload for my mosin in a few weeks time, digital scales seem to be very accurate.
    Last edited by kiwishoota; 19-05-2013 at 08:12 AM.