Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mudgripz

Thread: Marlin 7000 Dilemma

Marlin 7000 Dilemma

My current project is not going to plan. The plan . . . to build a very accurate 22 Semi with a short heavy barrel - without spending a bunch (at least by my own accounting and definition, so logic may not apply). Bear in mind that I don't want to use a 10/22 platform.

First I bought a Marlin 795 ($181 thanks TM) but before it arrived a Marlin 7000 (the quite rare heavy barrel version of the 795) came up on TM and I got it quite reasonably. The 7000 arrived and its in very nice original condition, I've had a couple of Marlin's through my hands over the years and the 7000 feels by far the best, quite an adult size stock and nicely balanced. I've shot the 7000 a bit and its just "good", holds its own with a 795 (which in the interim arrived and was given to a good friend who has chopped it to 12") and a Brno 2E, not really too bad as its un-tuned and the trigger hasn't been touched. I'm sure we could tighten the groups significantly with a trigger job and some fine tuning of the bedding etc.

However it might be considered a crime in some quarters to alter what is an uncommon rifle (even if the 7000's were not "expensive" at first cost) - so do I do a tune, barrel chop and integral suppressor job on it or pass it onto someone who would value it "as is" ??

Cheers

Oh bugger - wrong sub topic - sorry about that

Both 795 and 7000 very accurate with right shooter and right ammos - sub 0.5" groups at 50m. Little 7000 heavy barrel semi is a gem and yes I would leave that one intact and do your mods on the 795. Then package that 7000 off to me...

CCI ammos very good in marlins off the bench, esp subs and CCI standard solids. CCI ammos also cycle well in marlin semiautos. Try some win powerpoint HV too. One of my model 60s averaged 0.29" for four 5 shot groups at 50m with powerpoint hv hunting ammo.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Hello MG - I've read as much as I can find of your writings on the Marlin 60's and 795's, so much neat info you've made available across several forums. You've mentioned that one has to be "in the zone" to shoot a 22 to its best and I agree fully, it takes considerable concentration and discipline to do them justice - and that across several facets, especially hold I'm finding. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten my 7000 to the 0.5" at 50M yet.

I was wondering if (hoping?) I might tweak a tail or two with my post. The 7000 owes me $450 but I'll only do a swap for a proven accurate and well tuned (esp trigger) 795 at this stage.