Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Match vs hunting bullets

Match vs hunting bullets

https://youtu.be/Xm8wAXkVaxU
    This vid assemed by two dudes to compare eldx vs eldm. They put a bit of effort into it.
    veitnamcam, Puffin, Jhon and 1 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    https://youtu.be/Xm8wAXkVaxU
    This vid assemed by two dudes to compare eldx vs eldm. They put a bit of effort into it.
    I doubt a deer would notice any difference. Fascinating!
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Yes quite surprising, very similar end result. I think the Match bullet wouldn't perform as well if it hit shoulder bones , that's where the ELDX would work better. But as they said either would do the job if that's all you had.

GWH
    The Amax was a match bullet and the 162gr Amax has killed a lot of deer in NZ.

Im still using them in my 7Saum (im down to my last 300) they just kill so damn well even at extended range, longest deer ive shot with one is 994 yards. Most deer shot around 500 to 600 yards in the shoulder, and the 162 Amax really puts the hurt on, smashing everything in there, bone included.

Ill be going straight to the eldm when my Amax stock is eventually gone, its supposed to be the closest to the Amax.
    Nathan F, tikka and hey like this.

Just remember the ELD-M is pretty much the modern A-Max
    While the ELD-X is a modern sst without cannilure and uprated BC

Projectile thickness and construction is very similar
    199p, Moa Hunter and superdiver like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post

Im still using them in my 7Saum (im down to my last 300) they just kill so damn well even at extended range, longest deer ive shot with one is 994 yards. Most deer shot around 500 to 600 yards in the shoulder, and the 162 Amax really puts the hurt on, smashing everything in there, bone included.

Ill be going straight to the eldm when my Amax stock is eventually gone, its supposed to be the closest to the Amax.
    They work just as well in close too. I’ve shot a few with 7mmrum and still use them with 7mmremmag and they are just like RPG’s. Massive damage.
    GWH likes this.

Shot this yearling at 80yards with Amax .284. Going 2770fps muzzle. Dropped dead, thought it might pencil but opened up nicely and shoulder broken. Exited

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Nathan F and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yes quite surprising, very similar end result. I think the Match bullet wouldn't perform as well if it hit shoulder bones , that's where the ELDX would work better. But as they said either would do the job if that's all you had.
    Its interesting because i have seen match bullets 180eldm smash straight through gongs that the 162amax hardly put a dent into, some of them seem to be softer up front but also penetrate great
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Great video comparisons, I’d like to see them down loaded to equal a 400m and 600m impact shots not at the muzzle.

For shoot past 400m I prefer A-max’s and Eld-m for reliable expansion at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Not strictly true.

The A-Max was always presented by Hornady as a dual purpose match / hunting bullet, until they came up with the cunning plan of making two bullets in place of one.

Hornady classified it as such in their reloading manuals as follows:

.224 cal: target & varmint
    6mm: target, varmint & medium game
    6.5mm / 120gr: target & varmint
    6.5mm / 140gr: target, varmint & medium game

Everything wider/heavier than this was also target, varmint & medium game.

This is the classification in the 8th edition of the reloading manual. I can’t be sure but it was either in the 9th or the 10th edition that they changed it to target only, with the advent of the ELD-M and ELD-X, as Hornady ran down their stocks of A-Max. You see the cunning buggers wanted you to have one bullet for targets and another bullet for the game, when mysteriously just a few months prior one bullet would do pretty much everything!

The view that the A-Max was / is only a match bullet is prevalent the worlds over for some reason but as we in New Zealand know full well it is an outstanding medium game bullet our typical ranges. So is the ELD-M which is just an A-MAX with a longer ogive. In 6.5mm and .308 I’ve had them punch straight through both shoulders of mature red hinds at 300m+ nae bother. Sometimes you’ll get one that doesn’t exit, tends to be the closer ones. It’s a very effective bang flop bullet.
    tikka and GWH like this.
    Just...say...the...word

As a point of interest I run the same bullet through my 7mm08 and 284.

I've shot 3 deer with the 7mm08 all 50y or less. Which is roughly speaking the same impact velocity as my 284 at 300y. Last one I shot was 35y. Anyway in all instances I get complete expansion and penetration etc etc. The one common theme with both loads is the usual palm sized exit wound and I never recover the projectiles. Bang flop every time. The only difference is the MV between the 2 is 400fps
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Not strictly true.

The A-Max was always presented by Hornady as a dual purpose match / hunting bullet, until they came up with the cunning plan of making two bullets in place of one.

Hornady classified it as such in their reloading manuals as follows:

.224 cal: target & varmint
    6mm: target, varmint & medium game
    6.5mm / 120gr: target & varmint
    6.5mm / 140gr: target, varmint & medium game

Everything wider/heavier than this was also target, varmint & medium game.

This is the classification in the 8th edition of the reloading manual. I can’t be sure but it was either in the 9th or the 10th edition that they changed it to target only, with the advent of the ELD-M and ELD-X, as Hornady ran down their stocks of A-Max. You see the cunning buggers wanted you to have one bullet for targets and another bullet for the game, when mysteriously just a few months prior one bullet would do pretty much everything!

The view that the A-Max was / is only a match bullet is prevalent the worlds over for some reason but as we in New Zealand know full well it is an outstanding medium game bullet our typical ranges. So is the ELD-M which is just an A-MAX with a longer ogive. In 6.5mm and .308 I’ve had them punch straight through both shoulders of mature red hinds at 300m+ nae bother. Sometimes you’ll get one that doesn’t exit, tends to be the closer ones. It’s a very effective bang flop bullet.
    Just interested, with the 6.5, did you use 130 or 140 ELD-M’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

[QUOTE=janleroux;1297982]Just interested, with the 6.5, did you use 130 or 140 ELD-M’s?/QUOTE]

147gr.
    janleroux likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Thoughts on 7mm TMK's and TGK's vs 7mm ELD-M/X?

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Thoughts on 7mm TMK's and TGK's vs 7mm ELD-M/X?
    This guy is a fanatic but you can glean some good info out of his vids
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vzt...gehuntingGroup

TMKs are probably the same as ELDM/X and TGKs are probably too hard for medium/lower impact velocity. My inexperienced best guess thoughts, anyway...
    caberslash likes this.