Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 2 Post By kiwijames
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: Micrometer Dies

Micrometer Dies

Can someone school me on micrometer Dies.
    I like to tinker with different bullets in my rifles and find it a pain "going back" to the original seating depths once I'm done tinkering.
    I use Lee ultimate dies currently but only really like the neck collet die not the seater that has an adjuster that is easily knocked out of setting.
    Any brands or models someone can recommend?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Redding, Wilson and Forster are my preference for micrometer dies. All mine are Redding and Forster. Would love to try Wilson but need an arbor press.
    To use these dies well you really need something to give a reference. i.e. a micrometer and ogive gauge (Hornady LNL bullet comparator etc) or your flying blind. Some bullets are more consistent than others. For example the 85 HPBT I run in the 243 are often 0.020" in variation. If your using a 0.010" jump then you could be anything from just right to 0.010" jam. Quite a difference.
    The micrometer is nice to return to for seating different bullets as they return to same point every time. Typically they're are a better seater with floating sleeve that make for better concentricity.
    Timmay likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

+1 Redding

Thanks james, I currently use the hornady OAL and comparator set up from hornady. I see workshop innovation sell some micro meter dies, bit pricey? 185$ ish

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Thanks james, I currently use the hornady OAL and comparator set up from hornady. I see workshop innovation sell some micro meter dies, bit pricey? 185$ ish
    I really like the Forster seating dies. Most of my dies are bought as Redding sets, as I think the Redding sets are better with body bump and type S neck dies (and, the Wilson bushes are better I think, which fit the Redding but not the Forster).
    See what they are like cost wise for Forster over Redding seater. I think Forster are often cheaper. Both use the sliding sleeve. Julian is a great guy to deal with.
    MrDrifter and 6mm ackley like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Hornady make an add on MicroJust seating stem if you have their standard seating die just pop one on.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Redding, Wilson and Forster are my preference for micrometer dies. All mine are Redding and Forster. Would love to try Wilson but need an arbor press.
    To use these dies well you really need something to give a reference. i.e. a micrometer and ogive gauge (Hornady LNL bullet comparator etc) or your flying blind. Some bullets are more consistent than others. For example the 85 HPBT I run in the 243 are often 0.020" in variation. If your using a 0.010" jump then you could be anything from just right to 0.010" jam. Quite a difference.
    The micrometer is nice to return to for seating different bullets as they return to same point every time. Typically they're are a better seater with floating sleeve that make for better concentricity.
    Are you seating long and then dialling the micrometer the last 25 thou for every projectile ?

If for example the projectiles differ by up to 5 thou then seat 10 thou long and dial the remainder after measuring the seated projectile

It gets tedious for every one but its worth it.
    veitnamcam and Blaser like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Are you seating long and then dialling the micrometer the last 25 thou for every projectile ?

If for example the projectiles differ by up to 5 thou then seat 10 thou long and dial the remainder after measuring the seated projectile

It gets tedious for every one but its worth it.
    Which is the whole point.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.