Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Mis-pressed primers

With the hand held tool, tip one into position, hold it in place then tip the others back out of the way. Should prevent any sympathetic detonation issues, although to be fair even though I've had to get pretty heavy handed to seat some of the CCI primers in milsurp cases I've never managed to pop one.

As far as trying to kill primers, I would be hesitant to recommend anyone try that - modern primer compounds are very well sealed into the cup and I've never managed to kill one by any of the usual recommended methods. Priming compounds contain a fuel and an oxidiser combined with sensitizing compounds and as far as explosives go fuels are usually some kind of oil. Soaking a primer in oil won't usually kill a primer but might desensitise it a little making it harder to set off. Soaking them in water or soap is the same, it won't change the basic chemical elements but it will desensitise the brew. Treating the primers gently and not taking them over the shock thresh hold to set them off is safer in my book that trying to desensitise them to the point where they are 'safe' which is a pretty arbitrary limit without extensive testing...
    zimmer, Phil_H, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I can tell you why, much to my embarrassment. Hornady crimp their primers, or so it seems. Whilst I cleaned out the primer hole of crud it never occurred to me that the primer hole would need reaming as well. Some primers went in with effort, the two protruding ones didn't and started misforming. I only managed to get one of them out of the priming tool still with the shell holder attached. This is why I want to de-prime this shell....so I get the shell holder back.

Attachment 151611Attachment 151612

I have been convinced that I can de-prime them safely in the press but with caution and wearing safety equipment.

I'll save it for a day when Sharon isn't around......the wrath from her if something went bang would be worse than the bang itself.....

Cheers
    Phil
    I think that one will come out a lot easier than you think, despite its buckled condition.

You can either deprime in press (just stand the whole lot on top of shellholder) or do what I used to do with milsurp 30-06 with their mongrel crimps, ie punch out using a suitable punch. I used a Ramset nail ground thin, held in vise grips, full face shield welding helmet. I think I used to wear welding gloves also, well, after the first one went bang. About 1 in 10 went off but the milsurp primers required a fairly reasonable whack with a hammer to shift them.

If you're still concerned, have a few stiff shots of whisky first. Important point is there is still an element of risk. The consequences can be mitigated by PPE.

Repeat what I said earlier - I always wear safety glasses when handling/seating etc primers.
    Last edited by zimmer; 20-10-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    Phil_H likes this.

Thanks for all of the good advice gentlemen.

Name:  de-primed.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  3.40 MB

Sharon was out so took the opportunity.....

Mission accomplished......

This De-Priming lark is OK....must try it more often.....YEAH RIGHT!!!!

As well as the safety gear on I made sure the Press's Post was between me and the shell in question. And you were right @zimmer, it did come out easily, so easy in fact, still garbed up in all the safety gear I wondered why I went to such lengths......but just remembering the bang and the flash from the muzzle when I let off the other 6 last night brought me back to earth.

Again, thanks for all the help and I will endeavour to not get myself in this situation again.

Cheers
    Phil
    zimmer and Steelisreal like this.

now a quick whirl with your case deburring tool will get rid of the pesky crimp bit...noticed the new lyman tool is different angle to the older models...the old ones closer to 45 degrees and new models 30ish the older sharper one is best,take off stuff all material,1mm MAX and new primers will slip in like a well greased "male thing" in to a slack "female thing"LOL.
    and Ive seen this crimp thing on lots of Hornady brass,I BELIEVE they started crimping with the superpreformance line and have kept the process throughout rest...the whitetail loads have same crimp.
    dannyb likes this.

I primed 300 cases for loading last week with a hand primer, whilst distracted one primer went in upside down.
    Immediately spotted it as cases go neck down in a tray for the visual inspection.

Name:  backwards primer.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  116.9 KB

Gently using an arbor press the incorrectly seated primer was removed, and because I'm cheap, it was then seated correctly in its case.

I've found gentle pressure will unseat the errant primer without damaging it and without setting it off.

You'd probably find even 'not gentle' pressure, provided it isn't applied with impact won't actually set the primer off. They take a fearsome smack in the chamber from a fairly small pokey thing and sometimes even then they don't go off.

Having said all that, sometimes you do get an ornery (or maybe one of the fairer persuasion) that decides to go off when you look at it - just because. Your particular mileage might vary haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I primed 300 cases for loading last week with a hand primer, whilst distracted one primer went in upside down.
    Immediately spotted it as cases go neck down in a tray for the visual inspection.

Attachment 151774

Gently using an arbor press the incorrectly seated primer was removed, and because I'm cheap, it was then seated correctly in its case.

I've found gentle pressure will unseat the errant primer without damaging it and without setting it off.
    Get into the habit as each case comes out of the priming tool of running your fore finger over the cartridge base. It takes no time and with practise you do it without thinking but will pick up upside down primers and also importantly proud primers.
    dannyb likes this.