Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Monolithic projectiles

Monolithic projectiles

Hey guys,
    I need some advice on monolithic bullets. I shoot a .308 Howa 16" BP using 150 gr SST-s. It works but the meat damage can be a bit excessive to my liking. I was thinking to try TTSX but I don't have any experience with these kind of pills. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

130ttsx or maybe even the 110 pushed as fast as you can get them going.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    130ttsx or maybe even the 110 pushed as fast as you can get them going.
    Have a recipe of H335 48-50gr. Are there any cheaper pills? Don't think I will shoot further than400 yd.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Never used them but from what I read viet is on the money. Use one or two stages lighter than you normally do as speed is your friend.

yip TTSX as fast as...or go to a different pill cup n core or just shoot animal in a more meat friendly place.
    the trouble is you need/want a bullet to do damage..its always a balancing act,too much is meat waste but too little is wounded animal needing tracking down.
    I use a .270 which guys are ALWAYS rubbishing as meat wasting......I call B.S. on that, sure if I shoot deer twice through both front shoulders I wont be taking much of that meat home but back steaks and both hind quarters are fine. if you aim just infront of or just behind front leg bones 1/2 way up animal (assuming broadside) you wont damage much eating meat, hit it in the neck and you loose even less. personally I like to smash them front wheels,they don't go anywhere and I eat right up to bullet hole, that's what mincers are for.

400yards too far for Barnes type...they loose momentum and wont open well enough. if you are shooting to 400 your sst should be non damageing at .308 velocity.... heck most any projectile (Amax maybe exception) will be running low on puff to open excessively and cause major meat damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    400yards too far for Barnes type...they loose momentum and wont open well enough. if you are shooting to 400 your sst should be non damageing at .308 velocity.... heck most any projectile (Amax maybe exception) will be running low on puff to open excessively and cause major meat damage.
    Yes as above, I would call 300y about max for quick kills with the barnes at 308 velocitys, inside that tho brilliant.

I have got some 125 gr accubonds but have not tried them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I have got some 125 gr accubonds but have not tried them yet.
    Mine hated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Am using factory superfomance for for everything, it works great. Only close shots leave a lot of fragments and bruising , I know it wasn't designed for bush hunting just wanted to keep it simple using the same thing for everything. Will get some Barnes and see how the rifle likes it.

Yes as above, I would call 300y about max for quick kills with the barnes at 308 velocitys, inside that tho brilliant.
    Thanks VC will keep it under 300 if the rifle likes it. Is there any real difference between TTSX and TSX in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    Thanks VC will keep it under 300 if the rifle likes it. Is there any real difference between TTSX and TSX in performance?
    I don't see any for accuracy, yet to try on game so look forward to comments here also. Mine loves the tsx mate.

I havent used the tsx on game only the ttsx.
    They are sopost to open faster (good) as with most other tipped projectiles. The extra bc cant hurt either.
    Only reason I see to use the non tipped is if the only shoot seated out past mag length but the like to jump generally so shouldn't be a issue either.

I havent used the tsx on game only the ttsx.
    They are sopost to open faster (good) as with most other tipped projectiles. The extra bc cant hurt either.
    Only reason I see to use the non tipped is if the only shoot seated out past mag length but the like to jump generally so shouldn't be a issue either.
    Or you get given a box
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Or you get given a box
    Or two! I have a box you can have...bought off of Toby ages ago.