Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 6 Post By grandpamac
  • 4 Post By caberslash
  • 4 Post By Ftx325
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By grandpamac
  • 4 Post By 7.62
  • 1 Post By planenutz
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Finnwolf

Thread: More From The Great Guru

More From The Great Guru

Greetings All,
    One evening last week I attended a meeting at our local Deerstalkers Temple. There was a presentation from the Tararua Wild Foundation on their attempts to re introduce Kiwi into the Tararua area. This was most interesting. The Great Guru was there wearing his usual robes and Red Bands. Some of you will remember that I shared the guru's wisdom with you ie " When you are using the .308 W projectile choice does not matter" At a previous Temple meeting the Guru shared with me that he had been blessed with a new .308 rifle, light and handy with a short barrel. Remembering this I asked the Guru what projectile he is now using. "The 130 grain Barnes TTSX ahead of AR2206H" was the answer.
    The Guru also shared something else. He had noted that the shelves in his handloading sanctuary were loaded with left over projectiles and powder. Concerned at the level of waste of natural resources and treasure required to produce the components he found a way to put them to good use. Most of the .308 projectiles were 150 grains so these were loaded ahead of whatever charge of the left over powders gave something in the area of 2,500 fps. The resulting cartridges are used for bush hunting with no adjustments to the sights. An elegant solution which demonstrates the Guru's wisdom and respect for the planet. We should all follow his example. A look at my own shelves show I have much to do.
    Regards Grandpamac.

PS. Recent testing with 3 different projectile weights and 5 different powders in my own .308 W had all shots in a 50mm circle at 60 metres. Fine for bush hunting.

Must be a false prophet, I hear the true messiah uses a .222 Vixen.

Well I must have viking blood as I believe in Thor - god of Thunder (as my kids have named it) the mighty 45/70
    timattalon, 40mm, mimms2 and 1 others like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Well that’s one way to blow your face off on a Sunday afternoon
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

hmmmm strangly enough I share similar thoughts...and also reloading practices...used up 4 part boxes of .224 projectiles all 50 grn,all loaded into .223 cases with identicle load data and all will poke into same tiny wee group...yeah ok we will say 50mm for sake of uniformity....it will be 30mm or less knowing rifle as I do.dont know about these flash redband things though.....ashleys are more my style.
    woods223 and grandpamac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Must be a false prophet, I hear the true messiah uses a .222 Vixen.
    Greetings Caberslash,
    Your second statement my well be true. A guru is not a prophet but a person respected for their knowledge and wisdom rather than a Prophet. The Great Guru did, in his earlier days, use a Sako Vixen in .222 Rem before spending decades testing .243 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem and .308 Win rifles before selecting the latter. I know that you will be pleased to learn that most have been Sako.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck, Mathias and caberslash like this.

One caliber to rule them all.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

It is said that a guru is “one who dispels the darkness and takes the student towards the light, and is traditionally a reverential figure. The guru serves as a counsellor to their students and helps mould values, shares experiential knowledge as much as literal knowledge, is an exemplar in life, and an inspirational source who helps in the spiritual evolution of a student". It would appear that after decades of experimentation and contemplation, that the guru has generously provided his students with the holy grail (the 308win). We are eternally indebted to him

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    338 lap it is then
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If you mean calibre then yes .22

If you mean chambering/cartridge then it is .22RF, most accurate cartridge ever, subsonic, ammo used to be cheaper than air and all Olympic rifles are .22LR (plenty accurate).

If you bemoan the lack of big game killing power on offer, then you just need to get closer, but there comes a point when a knife would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    But you are incorrect. The 22 rimfire is not the most accurate cartridge ever. The 17 HMR has been proven to be superior in that field.
    Here we go... time to put the popcorn on...!

caberslash likes this.

ahummmmm hasnt one just?????LMFAO.
    mimms2 and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Caberslash,
    Your second statement my well be true. A guru is not a prophet but a person respected for their knowledge and wisdom rather than a Prophet. The Great Guru did, in his earlier days, use a Sako Vixen in .222 Rem before spending decades testing .243 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem and .308 Win rifles before selecting the latter. I know that you will be pleased to learn that most have been Sako.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I too went from a Vixen in 222 to a Finnwolf in 308, small trees and scrub were less of an issue with 180grain projectiles

Anyway, the Vixen was of course right handed whereas I am left handed, with the Finnwolf it was more lead (and heavier!) flying towards the target!

(Ok, so some missed, see my signature)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’