Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Maca49

Thread: Muzzleloader trials and tribulations !

Muzzleloader trials and tribulations !

After initial early promising results with my new .50 cal muzzleloader with patched round balls
    Name:  hare 2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  2.80 MB

I changed out the open sights for a target front globe and peep rear .
    But patched round ball consistency was elusive and google is pretty adamant that the rifling is too fast in my rifle.
    Torn and tattered patches and rapid fouling build ( despite using "tween shots" before every reload ) up making the accuracy go west very fast.

So this morning I have have cast some Lee REAL 315 grain MAXI conical projectiles.
    I just hand lubed them as it was only a small trial run.
    Sights were set as per the patched balls which were landing 120mm high and 100mm right.

First try with 50 grains of FFFG Holy Smoke black powder was right on the money.
    Just a little high 5 shots at 50m and a reasonable group for my old eyes.
    Bottom right was a flyer that I called ... just getting used to the trigger.
    Would be a pretty useful lower powered hare and rabbit option as very reasonable recoil.
    Wiped out bore with "Tween shots" before every new loading and the conicals went down the barrel easily once below the muzzle.
    Red dot is the bull.
    Name:  50m 50 grain group.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  1.41 MB

Next group was 60 grains and no changes to the sights and still aiming at the red bull.
    A little more lively and a bit higher on the target, which might give about a 100m zero.
    Same between shot process and still haven't cleaned barrel from the first group of 5.
    So 10 shots and no obvious deterioration in accuracy or difficulty in loading the conicals.
    Name:  50m 60 grain group.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  1.51 MB

Will do another full scale projectile molding session when it cools down later in the day.
    Time to clean out the barrel with dish washing liquid and boiling water and see if it will do the same again this evening !
    If so, then the deer might have a sporting chance for a change as I will need to get within 125m to be sure of

'A' hitting them and

'B' killing them

Images are sideways !!!
    Green bull is to top
    nmcm likes this.

I had a 58 cal Zouave a few years ago, used for Hares. I could get about 8-9 shots with a minie projectile. With my 45/70 cartridge rifle ican put through 20 odd rounds with out cleaning the barrel. Use home made lube on the 500 grain projectiles and one beeswax grease cookie inbetween two beer coaster wads between the powder and projectile base. You one looks to be shooting well, adjusting the charge can fine tune the accuracy as well.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Cheers for the update, look like you got a nice wee project on the go.

Exit wound on a hare at 50m with a projectile that big would be a big mess

Banned
    I would be happy with those groups out of my .58 cal.

What do you guys use for lube? I have been shooting my .58 with minie bullets and am not getting more than three-four shots before fouling gets obstructive in the loading and I have to wipe the bore

For extra amusement you can use a shot charge of about 3/4 oz,over 2 pinex greased wads with a card overshot keeper. You can put the shot in a paper tube to keep it off the rifling but imo it makes no difference. Good on rabbits to about 40 yards, I would love to get a duck, plenty of attempts but so far no luck.
    Muzzle loaders are very versatile.
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post

What do you guys use for lube? I have been shooting my .58 with minie bullets and am not getting more than three-four shots before fouling gets obstructive in the loading and I have to wipe the bore
    Try filling the cavity with dripping as well as the grooves, made a huge difference in mine.

Im using Beaver Grease hard lube on the minie's and Tween Shots on a patch between shots to get most of the fouling out between shots.

Banned
    Ok Thats basically what I have been doing.
    I am shooting a 620 grain pure lead .58 cal minie ball with between 60 grains and up to 120 grains of 2F. Goes and arrives like a locomotive. I am sure if I put nine or ten horses end to end lengthwise out to the target, I could kill them all with the first shot.
    (Have refinished the stock since this photo, proper wood colour now instead of the brown varnish)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Try filling the cavity with dripping as well as the grooves, made a huge difference in mine.
    I have worried that the lube would contaminate the powder if I did that, and then carried it all day looking for a deer, so I havnt tried it.

I have worried that the lube would contaminate the powder if I did that, and then carried it all day looking for a deer, so I havnt tried it.
    Put a thin wad, milk carton, over the powder then the projectile if yr concerned. I did what Mr Martini did straight over with no prob. But that wasn’t being carried around all day, was basically fired straight after loading
    Carlsen Highway likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

My Hawken .45 has a 1-33" twist and ok with R/ball at 50m with 45/ 50grs 2f swiss and trying a REAL, 200gr to see how it goes with 70gr 2f, work it up for my deer load. I wipe with damp patch between shots to clean the barrel. It`s a lot of fun to find the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Cheers for the update, look like you got a nice wee project on the go.

Exit wound on a hare at 50m with a projectile that big would be a big mess
    Yes @223nut images too graphic to post on forum.
    2 hares from 4 shots this evening at 30 and 50m.
    Very hard to shoot in fading light with open sights.
    But all part of the challenge

Just shot a guys .50 cal muzzle loader with 80 grains of Holysmoke behind it, at the Taupo range, shooting community is all good! Meet some great guys shooting!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough