Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Guypie
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Hunt4life
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: My first reloading success

My first reloading success

I found some time to go out and pop off a few different rounds I had loaded up before I moved house 3 or so months ago. I think I probably messed up most of the groups due to my own poor shooting but I got a couple of really good groups, almost couldn't believe it when I got the ruler on it.

Name:  SAM_0150.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  4.31 MB

Name:  SAM_0151.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  4.09 MB

Anyway I have never shot groups that tight before, so getting better I guess! Was having a bit of difficulty getting my shoulders to relax when prone but was getting the hang of it by the end of the day.

the group on the right was a 5 shot group 40 grain vmax behind 27.6gr of AR2208 seated to an OAL of 57.4mm
    the group on the left was a 3 shot group (only loaded 3 of them) 40 grain vmax behind 25gr of AR2208 seated to an OAL of 57.7mm

From what I read I would probably be better off with a faster powder too, as the barrel on my rifle is 20" so might try to get my hands on some BM2 or AR2206h later on.
    Still can't get the barnes 55gr tsx to group. Will probably try seating it deeper and see what happens. Either that or throw in the towel and try these out instead https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...-dia-63-gr-SMP
    Apparently good for 1:12 twist due to being short and nubby.

Any feedback is welcome!
    jakewire, Shootm, GWH and 1 others like this.

Most guys myself included find 2206h to be about the best in the 223, but 2208 is good too as you have discovered. The barnes are weird little things that may be too long to have stableise in a 12 inch twist, 10 might be the minimum required.
    Personally I like the 55gr sierra gameking spbt or the hpbt which has a hole in the end the size of lake taupo but is dynamite on stuff like pigs and deer out to 250.
    sako75 and GWH like this.

Is this a 223 ? if so you might do better BM2 or with AR2206h. Those groups are pretty good so if you can't get any better with faster burning powder stick with that load.
    Sometimes some rifles don't like those Barnes bullets but if you play around with seating depth and different powders you might get them shooting good.
    I used those Sierra 63gr bullets years ago in a 22-250 and found them very good on goats and deer, haven't used any in recent years though.

Yep its .223. I got AR2208 because I went to the local gun city and asked what to use and they said I dunno, here have a printout of ADI load data. It was the only powder that they had in stock in a 500 gram that had data for the 40gr vmax and 55gr tsx which were the two projectiles I had.
    Now after a bit more learning I would make a slightly more educated choice. But I am saving for a 6.5x55 rifle so the 2208 will be good for that later on.

Nothing wrong with the 223 at all, the 63 sierra or winchester are excellent bullets if you feel you need a heavy bullet. I used to use them but found the 55 gr did as well and was better for smaller stuff. The only 2 bullets i use now are the 52 gr smk, and the 55 gameking

The Hornady 60 Grain HP is another good bullet, also try ADI 8208 had excellent results in my .222 with it, goes through a powder thrower very well

Barnes TTSX 55g won't shoot in my slow twist 22-250, so I suspect your 223 won't like them either. But those V-Max 40 or 53/55gr are a great bullet.
    It sounds like you're new to reloading? If so, I have to recommend changing only one thing at a time with each load. You appear to have changed both powder charge as well as seating depth. One small step at a time as the smallest change can be the difference between tight groups or 1"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marty Henry likes this.

I found that Barnes liked a bit of a jump in my 7mm, there was a guy in the states that loaded the projectiles in up to the cannelure so have been using that and seems to work, fussy little buggers tho

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Barnes TTSX 55g won't shoot in my slow twist 22-250, so I suspect your 223 won't like them either. But those V-Max 40 or 53/55gr are a great bullet.
    It sounds like you're new to reloading? If so, I have to recommend changing only one thing at a time with each load. You appear to have changed both powder charge as well as seating depth. One small step at a time as the smallest change can be the difference between tight groups or 1"
    There were a few other recipies in the middle, I just cherrypicked the nice groups

Quote Originally Posted by nickbop View Post
    I found that Barnes liked a bit of a jump in my 7mm, there was a guy in the states that loaded the projectiles in up to the cannelure so have been using that and seems to work, fussy little buggers tho
    I heard that, i have loaded up 3 more to the cannelure which is a huge jump in my rifle. Hopefully they work because its about my last option before I start trying other powders.

Have you kept the barnes targets you shot? The shape of the holes can be quite diagnostic. If not shoot one at a target at 100 then one at another at 150 or 200 and look at the holes. If they are not perfectly round but oval or show a nice bullet profile at either distance then all the buggering round with seating depth or powders will be of no use as the bullets are too long for the twist of the rifling to impart gyroscopic stability to.
    In some cases pushing the speed up does give a window of stability but as soon as the speed drops it all goes bugger up again.
    By the way what is the twist rate of the rifle.
    Nakihunter likes this.

I have only shot at 100 yards, no obvious keyholes. Will grab them out and have a closer look, last 3 shot group was 5" so may have a hard time having anything on paper at 150-200. Twist is 1:12, so it is right at the limit of what it may do. It is the flat base non tipped tsx, 55gr. I know others have had it work in 1:12 but my rifle (zastava mini mauser) might not like it.