Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Neck concentricity using wilson neck bushings

Neck concentricity using wilson neck bushings

Level 10 nerd question: if you switch your wilson bushing to the tight side, does it improve or worsen concentricity?

Im expecting crickets here because i know thats an enormous red herring. But if ya dont ask...

I’d say it Shouldn’t make any difference on concentricity if your using it in a “Wilson die” ? There are a lot of other things that affect it.
    Dead is better likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Caretaker
    No change in concentricity
    Dead is better likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Im just using it in a redding type s. Its only got 1thou runout normally. Just hoping to keep it at least there. Im not sure zero is worth obsessing over

As long as your brass was neck turned beforehand it should still be concentric

I always rotate my brass half way when starting to seat projectiles..eg start them seating,then spin them by hand and finish seating..... fellas much cleaverer than me have poohooed it,then tried it and ate humble pie....you have nothing to loose trying it.
    Doon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I always rotate my brass half way when starting to seat projectiles..eg start them seating,then spin them by hand and finish seating..... fellas much cleaverer than me have poohooed it,then tried it and ate humble pie....you have nothing to loose trying it.
    Thought this was standard practice, it’s what I have done for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    Thought this was standard practice, it’s what I have done for years.
    apparently its not....and Im yet to find it on set of written load instructions....

One thing I have found that will induce run out when neck sizing brass is the amount the brass has to be reduced in size. For example I load for one 6.5x55mm rifle that the fired cases measure .299" but the RWS brass needs to be reduced to .290" to give me my desired .002" neck tension.

Redding suggest that any reduction greater than .005" needs to be done in steps and when I tried this the large amount of run out I was seeing by doing it in one step reduced drastically.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Even though it's nice to have run out of .0005" or less I doubt there would be any off the shelf hunting rifle that would show any advantage in accuracy with run out up to .002".