Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: neck sizing

neck sizing

Right....so this is something I have always avoided like the plague because my main rifle hated it..something about a off centred bore meant they were a mongrel to chamber...
    anyway....I have redding dies for the .223 and the neck sizer has sat there looking at me for 25 years,the only job it has ever done was loading some 22terminater loads years ago.
    looking at a .222 case,sitting next to a .223 case the question popped to mind..... can you interchange the neck die???
    pretty sure a .222 die would work on any other .224 centrefire as the body is shorter....... but will the longer .223 die give enough "shrinkage" to a long enough section of the .222 case to make it work???? my rough measurements suggest it will do about half the neck...has anyone tried this????
    would I be a complete heathen if took say 1/4" off bottom of the .223 dies????
    75/15/10 black powder matters

If you can size 2/3 the neck that should be plenty.
    Got no FL die?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

got no .222 dies...havent got a 222 yet either ,was just pondering this while sitting at my reloading bench.

Ive done it, kinda worked but a lot of the projectiles worked their way back into the case bouncing around in a daybag, which was pretty niggly.
    Skimming the bottom off the die would be the way I'd think.
    Micky Duck likes this.

What are you trying to achieve. Got Redding for all dies. including 222 and 223. Throw away the expander that way you are not throwing out the necks but you need to anneal before hand. The issue is sizing work hardened brass. You want all cases to chamber smoothly and be accurate. The voodoo is annealing and no expander. If the dudes I load their triple deuces can head shoot plovers at 70m it must be working ok save that Vixens are a sweet unit. My 2C.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    What are you trying to achieve. Got Redding for all dies. including 222 and 223. Throw away the expander that way you are not throwing out the necks but you need to anneal before hand. The issue is sizing work hardened brass. You want all cases to chamber smoothly and be accurate. The voodoo is annealing and no expander. If the dudes I load their triple deuces can head shoot plovers at 70m it must be working ok save that Vixens are a sweet unit. My 2C.
    hmmm so if you have a spare moment.....try necksizing a 222 case in your 223 neck die and see what you think......as said I dont have trebly yet...but as it would only be a low volume rifle,if I could get away with a heath robinson reload once or twice...yeah could be ok... if not will just have to buy trebly dies LOL.

Just look for a .222 Lee Loader or get someone to cut down a .223 one

I would have thought that yes, you could trim a .223 die to length and that would suffice. Am I correct in saying that the shoulder angle is the same for both? 23 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    hmmm so if you have a spare moment.....try necksizing a 222 case in your 223 neck die and see what you think......as said I dont have trebly yet...but as it would only be a low volume rifle,if I could get away with a heath robinson reload once or twice...yeah could be ok... if not will just have to buy trebly dies LOL.
    Do you want some 222 brass? Got lots.

I will keep it in mind and let you know if n when I get a trebly..THANKYOU.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    I would have thought that yes, you could trim a .223 die to length and that would suffice. Am I correct in saying that the shoulder angle is the same for both? 23 degrees?
    THATS WHY Im thinking neck die not FLR die...the shoulder isnt touched so shoulder angle is pretty much irrelevant..... Im sure Ive seen calibre NOT cartridge specific neck sizing dies before.....

Micky Duck likes this.

OK...that seals it...not good idea,use with extreme caution.

and that one says OK...LOL....