Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Padox
  • 1 Post By hey
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By Dan.22-250

Thread: neck tension

neck tension

Hi all, most of you will shake your heads in disbelief I’m sure. however iv still managed to do it so looking for advice ect.
    loading for a 300wsm, recently had a new barrel. Started breaking in the barrel & the bolt was sticky post firing.
    I stopped & wound powder charge back .5gr & loaded another 40.
    However after loading them I cleaned my die & noticed that I had managed to put my .333 300WM bushing in the neck die.
    Loaded 300wsm Norma case is .338. .005 neck tension twice the recommended tension?
    Would you suggest I pull all those rounds. Re size again and use correct neck bushing or see how this goes just for the barrel break-in process?
    Cheers

shoot them!! I wont suggest what I think you should do with the neck sizing die but I FLS everything

Are you using brand new Brass??

I FL size everything not worth the hassle to not
    GWH and dannyb like this.

hey
    2 or 3 thou is what I usually do. Not sure about pull them out, it also depends on how deep you seat the projectile. Usually you can feel when neck tension is too much, when you have to force the handle down.
    Did you bump the shoulder back when resizing? I usually bump it back about 1 or 2 thou. It does reduce the pressure as well. Also jump the the projectile instead of jamming/touch the land also reduce bit pressure.
    Dazzh likes this.

Cheers mate, 2nd fired brass

FLS and take your expander out. Just anneal the brass before hand. Look at the article by Froggy. Must be doing something right to smack over golf balls at that range.
    hey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    2 or 3 thou is what I usually do. Not sure about pull them out, it also depends on how deep you seat the projectile. Usually you can feel when neck tension is too much, when you have to force the handle down.
    Did you bump the shoulder back when resizing? I usually bump it back about 1 or 2 thou. It does reduce the pressure as well. Also jump the the projectile instead of jamming/touch the land also reduce bit pressure.
    Cheers mate, yea I bumped the shoulder, Iv also just gone on load data manual seating depth, so it’s nowhere near the lands, although I havnt measured it

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    shoot them!! I wont suggest what I think you should do with the neck sizing die but I FLS everything

Are you using brand new Brass??
    Cheers mate, 2nd fired brass

I'd probably just shoot a few and see how it goes. If it shoots well enough for you with acceptable pressure then all is well, if not then pull them. Only reason I see not to do this is your still at a relatively warm load if only .5gr below max. (Did you check headspace/shoulder bump with the new barrel installed)
    Micky Duck likes this.