Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 2 Post By Proudkiwi
  • 2 Post By Gibo
  • 3 Post By mikee

Thread: Neck tension problem

Neck tension problem

Hi all. A month ago a full length sized a new to me but unknown batch of brass (all head stamped the same). Loaded them with a variety of powder weights to do some ld, out of which I settled on a charge and all shot fine. This week i wanted to load them all to the chosen charge weight so thought I'd neck size them, then trim, weight powder and seat. It all went pretty straightforward except the projectiles are not seating properly due to low neck tension in some, but no all the cases. Dies used are Hornsby. ANy ideas why this happen/how can I fix it please?

Appreciate the feedback guys and gals..

Cheers Jem.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Neck tension problem

Your neck die does not have the same tension as your FL die. Hornady use an expander but I’m not sure if you can get a smaller one. Can you measure your necks including fired, neck sized & FL sized?
    veitnamcam and tetawa like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

R93
    Are you loading compressed loads?
    Measure the inside neck diameter on a case that seats and one that doesn't to see if there is any notable difference.

Could some of the brass been neck turned previously?
    Could be several things.
    Neck die etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

How many firings with this brass? If more than 3x you’ll be getting work hardening of the brass in the necks which create variable tension issues.
    R93 likes this.

Get bushing dies, throw expander in the bin.
    kiwijames and shooternz like this.

Have you set up the die correctly? Is it sizing the full neck or only a small portion? You can normally see how far down the sizing has occurred.

I thought you were talking about neck tension same as I got going down the stairs at 2.30am yesterday morning and missing the last step

Would be good if there were reloading workshops that that those interested could get together and go over these kind of issues

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    I thought you were talking about neck tension same as I got going down the stairs at 2.30am yesterday morning and missing the last step

Would be good if there were reloading workshops that that those interested could get together and go over these kind of issues
    In the day and age that everyone thinks a you tube clip will do. I was taught in person from a friend which was invaluable.
    mikee and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    In the day and age that everyone thinks a you tube clip will do. I was taught in person from a friend which was invaluable.
    Funny a good portion of my job now involves cleaning up the meed of those who tried to install their stuff using youtube guides
    R93, Gibo and chainsaw like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a closer look at the cases later tonight if possible, but it may well be an age issue with the brass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon987 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll take a closer look at the cases later tonight if possible, but it may well be an age issue with the brass as well.
    if you have quite a lot of that brass, there's a guy with great deal on TradeMe who will do the annealing for you .... I think he's on this forum too