Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: New 90 gr 243 ELD X

New 90 gr 243 ELD X

Has anyone had anything to do with the 90 gr ELD X in 243, been made for the 1 10 twist barrel. Any info on this projectile especially on game would be great ( and interesting)?
    T.FOYE likes this.

This is excellent news, thanks @Mooseman for spotting it. I’ve used the Sierra ProHunter 100gr for over 20yrs, and have been considering testing out the GameChanger 90gr for the benefit of the higher BC. So to have the ELD-X to test as well is well pleasing.

Quite a high percentage of my .243 shots are well past 200m out to 300m+, with all the normal breeze considerations. So I’m looking at the quoted BC of the 90gr GameChanger and thinking hmm, that G1 0.490 looks quite high, especially considering the ELD-X is quoted at 0.409. But the way Sierra quote BCs is different, it will fall to 0.400 and below quite quickly. Will be very interesting to do some drop tests with both of these bullets, with the ELD-X in 6.5mm and .308 both bullets have performed better for me than the models say they will.

The 6.5 and .308 ELD-X are proving to be emphatic killers of goats and deer (with the one exception), perfect blend of fragmentation of the top half with the bottom half punching on through. Hope the 6mm performs similarly.
    300MAG likes this.

I see the press release was 19th Oct, titled “new for 2019” so probably won’t see them here for a while?

Gone but not forgotten
    Im keen to give them a try, but haven't found any yet.
    The 103s were no good in my 1:10 243, but are about quarter of an inch longer than the 100gr Sierra Prohunters that it seems to like.

I have talked to my local sports shop to see if they are available yet, will post it when I have found out more. I am using the 95 gr SST at moment but am keen to get some of these and try them out.

Gone but not forgotten
    They're here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    They're here!!!
    Where? Im having a majestic finished off pretty sure it's a 1/10 twist and want to try them, would make an easy life to have the eldx for all my rifles from .223 up.

Gone but not forgotten
    Listed on Gunworks website.
    nor-west likes this.

Anyone tried the 95gr Sierra TMK in a 1-10" twist? They have a .500 BC and the same structural make up of the ELDM.
    Personally Ive always been a fan of the 95gr Nosler balistic tip in the 1-10", it has a less aggressive ogive and stabilizes just fine as well as performing well on game with its tapered jacket and heavier copper base.

Have to keep an eye out for them.

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...x100+2441.html

hurry up and try them somebody.
    Nice to know what the best 243 bullet ends up being for when I get my shit together and start reloading.

Gone but not forgotten
    Postie delivered some today.
    Photo is one compared to the 103gr version, that didn't stabilise in my 1:10 twist 243. Length is 28mm for the 90gr compared to 31.9mm for the 103gr.
    Name:  20190717_174416.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  1.46 MB

Nice looking bullet let's hope they shoot well. I aren't having any luck with the 90 gr Game changers, could be the rifle though so I took a bit more out of the barrel channel and played around with the pillars I put in so will try it out again. This time I will try so 87 gr Hornady, 85 gr Partitions, 95 gr SST, and I have a few 90 gr BT, as well as the Game changers. Will shoot a group with each and see what happens. If I get some consistency with these ones I will get some 90 gr ELD X to try out, should be a good hunting bullet.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I couldn’t get the Gamechangers to stabilise in my 1:10 Tikka .243. The 95gr Ballistic Tips shoot great so hoping the Eld-X’s will work given their similar length to the Nosler.

I've got some 95gn Targex to try now my BLR trigger and action is well sorted. Also keen to try the ELD Xs.