Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New brass prep?

New brass prep?

Still bit green at this reloading game so hopefully not a daft question.....

Have some new unfired norma brass. Am I best to run it through the FL die prior to loading or would just putting through a neck sizing die be better? I'm guessing it should be currently to spec size wise but a neck die might help with consistent neck tension? Don't want to over work it as wasn't cheap brass!

Cheers

I've never bothered doing anything with new brass other than to load it - but I'm only using it for hunting.
    Just load it up & enjoy!!

Gone but not forgotten
    I emailed ADI about their brass, they said chamfer and deburr, nothing else is needed.
    Lapua and Norma brass I do the same, sometimes I have run them thru a Lee collet neck die first, sometimes not.
    I check all cases for length prior to every loading. I haven't had a new case be overlength yet, but have had some once-fired that needed trimming.

I neck up the brass to the next calibre up. Then neck size (in the full length die or neck die if I have one) the cases down until they fit firmly in the rifle chamber. When I find the right fit, I know the case will blow out with minimal stretching (and maximum life).

They are ready to load but sometimes the necks are a bit dented so I run those through the die. Also give them all a chamfer as it helps with the seating of the bullet.

Thanks, will continue as planned. Run them through collet neck die and chamfer. Quick and easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Thanks, will continue as planned. Run them through collet neck die and chamfer. Quick and easy!
    I also like to do the flash holes, give them a debur from inside case. Only have to do it once. If the flash holes are punched then they will have a burr.