Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: NEW Hornady A-Tip bullets

Tikka7mm08 likes this.

They look nice, pity no 7mm. I still have about 70 of the original aluminium tipped 162 amax. The aluminium point is a lot bigger than the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    They look nice, pity no 7mm. I still have about 70 of the original aluminium tipped 162 amax. The aluminium point is a lot bigger than the newer ones.
    What the hell is a 7mm?
    I always thought that cal was all the reject bullets when making 6.5mm and .308

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    What the hell is a 7mm?
    I always thought that cal was all the reject bullets when making 6.5mm and .308
    Wow.

Just Wow.

That's industrial strength condescention.

You sir, are blinkered to an astonishing extreme.
    sometimes1 likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I want to try these in the 260AI.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rwt
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    7mm and 338 are coming soon, they wanted the 6, 6,5mm on the market for PRS season and the 30cals to go with the 300PRC apparently

Yes they concentrated on the accurate long range capable cals first that people use competitively and will hammer some alloy tips into some unsold old stock soft point bullets for all the other mongrel cals at a later date

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Wow.

Just Wow.

That's industrial strength condescention.

You sir, are blinkered to an astonishing extreme.
    What ever do you mean Sir? Have I somehow missed a cal that out performs my current collection? Next you will be telling me someone other than a vegan or cyclist has purchased a .270 and likes it..

[QUOTE=Wingman;827772 Next you will be telling me someone other than a vegan or cyclist has purchased a .270 and likes it.. [/QUOTE]

No Sir, I will not. I am however, vastly amused by the assertion above...
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

watching the Hornady video clip about this new development in bullet design/construction I was torn between two thoughts
    1, great commitment to investment in innovation & development based on good engineering and science
    2, marketing hype & BS. (sequential bullet packaging ... and we dont even clean them)

When they come out in a decent calibre I might try them.

Well the new aluminium tips won't melt like the plastic ones

Here is the original aluminium tip versus the original plastic tip a-max

Name:  7 mm amax.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  29.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    watching the Hornady video clip about this new development in bullet design/construction I was torn between two thoughts
    1, great commitment to investment in innovation & development based on good engineering and science
    2, marketing hype & BS. (sequential bullet packaging ... and we dont even clean them)

When they come out in a decent calibre I might try them.
    Whether you choose to buy in to the red tip or alloy tip or not, and for sure you are paying a premium to do so, Hornady has totally outplayed Sierra in the last 2 to 3 years. A proper shafting.

Successful global companies have always had strong marketing with carefully coordinated messaging, clearly segmented products, with a premium range with flashy packaging commanding a premium price. Hornady has aced all of this and more. The market's broad acceptance of the ELD products has been very impressive. Unmelty tips, and doppler radar, two things simple blokes like me weren't talking about three years ago. Now we're experts! And it helps that Hornady products simply work as advertised.

Sierra on the other hand have fucked up their website, their GameChanger launch, the messaging about twist rates, the availability of their traditional bullet range (seen by many overseas as a cynical way to get people to buy overpriced GameChangers), their load data app, plus they have published a shit load of contradictory techy stuff about their new bullets that has pissed off lots of their traditional customers (like me).

Just you watch, these new A-Tips will be phenomenally successful.
    chainsaw and dannyb like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Whether you choose to buy in to the red tip or alloy tip or not, and for sure you are paying a premium to do so, Hornady has totally outplayed Sierra in the last 2 to 3 years. A proper shafting.

Successful global companies have always had strong marketing with carefully coordinated messaging, clearly segmented products, with a premium range with flashy packaging commanding a premium price. Hornady has aced all of this and more. The market's broad acceptance of the ELD products has been very impressive. Unmelty tips, and doppler radar, two things simple blokes like me weren't talking about three years ago. Now we're experts! And it helps that Hornady products simply work as advertised.

Sierra on the other hand have fucked up their website, their GameChanger launch, the messaging about twist rates, the availability of their traditional bullet range (seen by many overseas as a cynical way to get people to buy overpriced GameChangers), their load data app, plus they have published a shit load of contradictory techy stuff about their new bullets that has pissed off lots of their traditional customers (like me).

Just you watch, these new A-Tips will be phenomenally successful.
    I think the other thing hornady nails is cost. You get berger BC's, good terminal performance and pretty good consistency in a projectile that costs 1/3 less than the equivelent berger or nosler offering.

For myself I would love to try some bergers or whatever but keep going back to hornady as they have a good bullet for my needs at a cheaper price
    andyanimal31, Mooseman and dannyb like this.

Wonder if those big 250 gr .30 cal will stabilise in the 300 NM in a Proof 1:9 twist if they are pushed hard enough?
    mikee likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Wonder if those big 250 gr .30 cal will stabilise in the 300 NM in a Proof 1:9 twist if they are pushed hard enough?
    The picture is hilarious. The bullet is so long. Put it in a bushpig it will be sticking out the end.
    The 135 in 6.5mm looks a promising proposition for the creedbores