Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new loader help

new loader help

just got a lee 50th anniversary kit and know i need dies but what ones exactly? looking for 7mm RM, there is 2 and 3 die kits.

Hi Konev,

2 die sets have a Full Length Sizing Die and Bullet Seating Die. The 3 die set generally is the addition of a Neck Sizing Die (this partially sizes the case i.e. neck, and reduces the wear on your brass).

I use a Redding Deluxe 3 die set for my 7mm RM and only FL size when brass gets a bit tight to feed smoothly. I do this for all other cals I load for except my 308 which is a semi and I always FL size that brass.

All brands of dies will do the job but my preference is Redding then RCBS, but Hornady and Lee (Collet) dies are good as well.

Here are some links to get you started:

Redding 7mm mag Deluxe Die Set | Trade Me
    1x RCBS FL die set your choice of various calibres | Trade Me
    Lee RGB Die Set
    RCBS FL 2 Die Set 7mm Remington Magnum
    Deadeye Dicks - Redding

Gunworks have real sharp prices on brass at the moment:
    Brass – Unprimed | GUNWORKS
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

I will agree with Brian but for neck sizing everyone will recommend the lee collet die for neck sizing, have fun with reloading the belted cases.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

great info thanks, got a lee collect set coming from reloaders. would i be best to get the hornady reloading book? looking to use hornady 162g AMAX or similar or do other books cover these projectiles?

in regards to brass, will have 40 odd hornady cases by next week and 20 shitchester from factory stuff ive shot so not looking to buy bags just yet till i use this lot.
    Last edited by Konev; 23-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Yeah get some manuals hornady is a good manual lots of good info in there, but also use sites like Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People and in the references section on here someone has posted PDF's of sierra data always good to cross reference between different lots of data as some are conservative and some are not so conservative
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Im only a facebook message away poss.

Its pretty straight forward. Im sure dan could show you first hand for a beer too.

Chris