Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New Nosler Accubond lineup for Long Range shooting

Caretaker

New Nosler Accubond lineup for Long Range shooting

As per the heading Nosler have designed a new range of Accubonds especially for long range Hunting/Shooting.

The projectile weights and advertised BC's look promising.

INTRODUCING the new Accubond Long Range - Sniper's Hide Forums
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 01-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The BC's certainly look good, how accurate are they though? Hard to see how the 168gr 7mm can be so much higher than the 162 amax or 168 VLD. But the velocity range looks good though, finally a one load for all. Any ideas on price?

Caretaker
    Accuracy will depend on the rifle and shooter to some degree. Suitable impact velocity from 1300fps to 3200fps.

This is a starting lineup for their Accubond range, more cals/weights are in development and are apparently being distributed in 100 count boxes so should be a better price than their 50 count predecessors.

The older Accubonds were let down a bit by their on game performance of the 160g 7mm offering at lower velocities and a few guys shied away from them, these should lift the Accubond back into favour.

I would be keen to try them in all calibers. I have some older Accubonds in 338 caliber, 300 grainers ! -and by jove do they smoke redskins !

If we can believe the BC on the 7mm Accubond 175g projectile, and its lower impact velocity suitability, then the 180 Berger (G1 .659 G7 .337) is history.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 01-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.

My accurate comment was how accurate are the BC's rather than the accuracy potential of projectile, sorry badly worded in first post. The 160 accubond has worked well in my 7mm mag, but I haven't used it past 300 yds. One load I could use confidently from 0 - 1000 yds would be great.
    Dino likes this.

Caretaker
    Sorry about my wrong reading Stug, went off a little half cocked
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 01-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.

BC's look very high. Should be awesome. I can see some new load development for a couple of my rifles coming up

Those BC's are hard, if not impossible, to believe. Be nice if they are accurate but I seriously doubt it.
    baldbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Those BC's are hard, if not impossible, to believe. Be nice if they are accurate but I seriously doubt it.
    I think the same, but Nosler's other BC's are accurate eg the 160 accubond is accurate, so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I hope the 175gr 7mm BC is on target... Be a very very good pill

210 30 cal is way high in BC as well the 300RUM will lap those up when I get round to putting the 1:10 barrel back on
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Maybe I'm just to cynical but how does the saying go - "if it sounds to good to be true....."

They are essentially saying this is the 'perfect' projectile. Mega BC and equally large effective velocity range.

Still, like I said earlier, be nice if it's true.
    baldbob likes this.

Gotta try them in the 08 even if the bc wasnt accurate if it is as good as the amax it will be a winner with those velocity ranges.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker
    Dont forget the BC advantage of the delrin tip covering that large meplat, Mr Whidden has been pointing projectiles for years to get the 5-10% BC advantage.

From what I can understand Berger are still not putting a Delrin Tip on their VLD projectiles.

Eric Stecker w/ Berger posted this yesterday on the LR Forum:

For the sake of clarity, the Berger 7mm X Bullets as they have come to be known were developed for a military opportunity that did not pan out. The goal was to produce a 7mm bullet that will stay supersonic at 1 mile (I don't recall at what MV). Since we did not know which design and weight would accomplish this goal we decided to make all three (VLD, tangent or BT and Hybrid). When the dust settled the Hybrid produced the highest BC.

We made short runs of these bullets for testing and spread them around to see how they shoot. Frankly, it was our intension to see which one shot the best. The plan was to add one version to the line and moth ball the other two designs with our other experimental project that did not make it into the line. The problem is all 3 bullets performed well in testing. One design out shot the other two for one tester but not by much and another tester reported that a different design worked best for them.

The 180 gr Hybrid, having the highest BC, is proving to be the front runner so far but it is not head and shoulders above the others. So I am left with two general directions. The first is to stick to the plan to release just one design or to release two or three designs and see what happens. I decided on the later. Unfortunately, we did not have the jackets needed to make more than the initial test quantities. We are making 7mm jackets but they are the standard thickness for the hunting bullets.

We should be finished with these jackets in the next 3-4 weeks and will be switching to the thick jackets as soon as possible. We will be making large quantities of each version and will let all of you decide which 7mm heavy bullet rules the roost. When these bullets become available there will be 5 versions to choose from.

28404 - 7mm 180 gr BT (Medium Tangent Ogive) - G7 = .314
    28405 - 7mm 180 gr VLD (Long Secant Ogive) - G7 = .337
    28406 - 7mm 182 gr XBT (Extra Long Tangent Ogive) - G7 = .332
    28407 - 7mm 180 gr Hyb (Extra Long Hybrid Ogive) - G7 = .345
    28408 - 7mm 175 gr XLD (Extra Long Secant Ogive) - G7 = .336

Regards,
    Eric
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 01-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.

They would make the 270 "good"

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    They would make the 270 "good"
    Yes, look forward to trying them.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Finally, while my 300RUM is in the process of becoming an EDGE, a frightfully high BC 30cal bullet comes out!

Ah well the 338 version, when it comes out, had better be good!
    If my work annoys me, I cull them