Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What fraction of a grain charge weight do you test new loads?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0.5gr

23 56.10%
  • 0.3gr

10 24.39%
  • 0.2gr

5 12.20%
  • 0.1gr

3 7.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: New to reloading - to what fraction of a grain do you test new loads? 0.5gr, 0.3gr...

Pav

New to reloading - to what fraction of a grain do you test new loads? 0.5gr, 0.3gr...

New to reloading - Just wondering to what fraction of a grain does everybody generally test to when making a new load? 0.5gr, 0.3gr?
    Current cartridges are .308 and .222 predominantly used for hunting with a little target shooting for good measure.
    Am I right to assume that a charge difference of 0.3gr will have a more noticeable result in the smaller 222 case than it would in the 308? And to what fraction have you noticed significant variation in results before you contend with human error etc in charge weights eg. 0.2gr, 0.1gr?
    Cheers

I dont bother with less than half grain change in larger case...or quarter grain in little one.....unless you chasing the last little bit of accuracy or velocity its not worth it in my book.

Pav
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I dont bother with less than half grain change in larger case...or quarter grain in little one.....unless you chasing the last little bit of accuracy or velocity its not worth it in my book.
    That's what I like to hear!
    So far I've only started some test loads for the 308 on the weekend and found a nice combo producing satisfactory results at 42gr but wondered if I needed to reduce the loads down to say 0.2gr and test either side or if I'm better off to settle on that and be done.
    Haven't started on the treble yet...

.2 in the trebly and .5 in the 08 while working up to find pressure.
    Half grain steps in a small case can go from mild to wild .
    Bryan, gadgetman, tikka and 5 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Its a good idea to look for "resilience" in you load, I try and find a spot where +/- 0.5 gn (in 308 class cases) doesn't open up the ES or group . . . .
    mikee and rewa like this.

There is no one answer. Figure on roughly 10% steps of the nominal load. So yes, catridge capacity dependant.
    0.5 gr for say 308 sized, for a 22 Hornet 0.2 gr dropping to 0.1 gr when approaching book max.
    Once close to desired result a smaller final change may be in order.

1gr (full) initially, then half either side of the more promosing region
    Pav likes this.

For my 22-250 I'm going up in 0.2gr as new to reloading. Shot my first ever own loads on Friday, results were average as I was starting at the min recommended charge weight.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    New to reloading - Just wondering to what fraction of a grain does everybody generally test to when making a new load? 0.5gr, 0.3gr?
    Current cartridges are .308 and .222 predominantly used for hunting with a little target shooting for good measure.
    Am I right to assume that a charge difference of 0.3gr will have a more noticeable result in the smaller 222 case than it would in the 308? And to what fraction have you noticed significant variation in results before you contend with human error etc in charge weights eg. 0.2gr, 0.1gr?
    Cheers
    Avoid over thinking, if possible, find yourself a local reloading guru/sensei. Grey hair and hearing loss are usually good signs that they have been shooting for a while

Read this first (Richard Lee's Modern Reloading) : http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...%20-%20ocr.pdf

Most important factors in descending order:

1. Tools used for measuring and dispensing powder

2. Type of powder

3. Case capacity

1. Tools
    Try and avoid weight measuring with the whole beam scale balance and powder trickling setup. Waste of time, money and sanity if you are just making rounds to go hunting and plinking with. Use a volumetric measuring system (Lee scoops or powder thrower) with a small set of electronic scales to measure the initial charge then work from there. No point trying to measure down to 0.1 grain if your equipment only has an accuracy of +/- 0.3 grains.

2. Powder
    Choose a good powder that 'meters' easily (ball powders or smaller stick powders). If you can get some Varget powder then you should be covered for both .308 and .223/.222

3. Case capacity
    As you rightly pointed out, a 0.3 grain difference will matter a lot more in a .222 case vs a .338LM case. You might encounter the problem of compressed charges further down the line, but really nothing to worry about. There are some guys who literally use a primed case as a scoop, credit card to strike off the excess powder at the neck and crunch a bullet down onto the powder (really depends on the components, don't try this!). Not best practise but hey ho it works for them!

Best of luck and enjoy.
    Pav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    There are some guys who literally use a primed case as a scoop, credit card to strike off the excess powder at the neck and crunch a bullet down onto the powder (really depends on the components, don't try this!). Not best practise but hey ho it works for them!
    I want to meet these guys!
    then stand some distance away while they try their latest hand loads
    caberslash likes this.
    Yep, that's a potato

1% of case capacity, rounded to the nearest .1 is a decent guideline.
    Magnetite likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

You can go 0.5 if you want to revisit a node or do further testing you can always fill in the gaps. obviously depends on calibre smaller cases maybe not like the guys have said as above.
    gadgetman likes this.

EBF wrote an interesting piece on load development for the now defunct guns and hunting magazines website which has got me rethinking load development.
    He said don't worry about groups initally look at velocity and extreme spread or std deviation in your load ladder, there will be a point where small changes in powder weight make virtually no difference in speed after which it will jump with the next increment those nodes are what to look for as they allow for errors in weighing.
    At 100 yards most loads will group well but the shooter will tire and loose focus especially if there are multiple lots to test and introduce another possible error. Everyone has said I pulled that shot haven't they.
    If you are only shooting short ranges say to 3 or 400 yards maximum a difference of 50 fps between shots won't have any significant effect on point of impact but at 600 yards it could be up to 12 or more inches.
    caberslash likes this.

Same as most here, I go up in .5 grain increments, but my smallest cartridge a .270. Once I have a load with good ES I then test loads at different seating depths until I’m happy with group size. After that is when I sometimes fiddle about with smaller powder increments of .1 or .2 grains to see if I can tighten groups up.

.3 and reduce to 3 round groups for load development. I usually get a really good idea of nodes over 9 groups.