Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Nobel No.2 shotgun powder

Nobel No.2 shotgun powder

I've got some Nobel No.2 shotgun powder, distributed by Ammunition House, which I think used to be a joint company of CAC and ICI. Does anyone still have the loading data for this powder please?

HHHmmmmm I think that may be also Vectan in another life............. let me dig a bit deeper...............
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Try here: Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com
    or here for modern stuff --::-- NOBELSPORT ITALIA: the new borderline --::--
    IMI made powders in Britain under the Nobel brand, so you may see some data talking about IMI powder.
    Good luck!
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

sturg4
    Who made 'red dot' was it a Nobel product.
    I had an American who wrote books about shooting bears contact me and ask if I could get him a net gun. I had a spare and who needs two net guns this day and age, so I said he could have one. So one day he turns up at our place and Nek minnit he is setting up his video camera up on the tripod. I said straight off I am not going to fire the bloody thing for you it kicks like a bloody mule, I am scared of it, and I am to old for that shit. He soothed my feathers and said he would film me folding the net and packing it and loading the weights into the barrels.

Then he asked me as a special favour to fire it for him and with a bit of flattery applied as thick butter I agreed.
    I had some shells loaded with black powder that were pretty soft loads so I picked one out of the box and picked the end open and spilled some powder on the bench. It looked like what I was expecting but my excuse was the shed was dark. Any way I took another cartridge out of the box and loaded it and fired it. Well bugger me its a wonder more people wernt killed by those bloody net guns. Luckily I was holding it a bit to the side of my body because it went off with a roar like one of Nelsons double shotted cannons at Trafalgar. The gun ended up on the lawn behind me I thought I had damaged my thumb, my hands had pins and needles for an hour. The net fair flew through the air and three weights blew clean off the net and disappeared in the direction of the neighbours never to be seen again. The American was deaf but impressed.... "Goddamn...I never seen anything like that before' he said.

I sidled back into that shed and had another look at the powder that I had spilt on the bench and I could see these little red dots in it.

I never did work out how that springfield action held together. a 30 06 cartridge case full of shotgun powder trying to push a quarter pound maybe more of steel weight out of each barrel. I am only guessing about a quarter of a pound when I get my own net gun back I am going the weigh those weights.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Red Dot shotgun powder was made by DuPont

Caretaker

Nobel No.2 shotgun powder

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Who made 'red dot' was it a Nobel product.
    I had an American who wrote books about shooting bears contact me and ask if I could get him a net gun. I had a spare and who needs two net guns this day and age, so I said he could have one. So one day he turns up at our place and Nek minnit he is setting up his video camera up on the tripod. I said straight off I am not going to fire the bloody thing for you it kicks like a bloody mule, I am scared of it, and I am to old for that shit. He soothed my feathers and said he would film me folding the net and packing it and loading the weights into the barrels.

Then he asked me as a special favour to fire it for him and with a bit of flattery applied as thick butter I agreed.
    I had some shells loaded with black powder that were pretty soft loads so I picked one out of the box and picked the end open and spilled some powder on the bench. It looked like what I was expecting but my excuse was the shed was dark. Any way I took another cartridge out of the box and loaded it and fired it. Well bugger me its a wonder more people wernt killed by those bloody net guns. Luckily I was holding it a bit to the side of my body because it went off with a roar like one of Nelsons double shotted cannons at Trafalgar. The gun ended up on the lawn behind me I thought I had damaged my thumb, my hands had pins and needles for an hour. The net fair flew through the air and three weights blew clean off the net and disappeared in the direction of the neighbours never to be seen again. The American was deaf but impressed.... "Goddamn...I never seen anything like that before' he said.

I sidled back into that shed and had another look at the powder that I had spilt on the bench and I could see these little red dots in it.

I never did work out how that springfield action held together. a 30 06 cartridge case full of shotgun powder trying to push a quarter pound maybe more of steel weight out of each barrel. I am only guessing about a quarter of a pound when I get my own net gun back I am going the weigh those weights.
    Priceless, am happy you were not hurt too bad.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Red Dot

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I thought Red Dot was made by Hercules
    I have an 8 lb. jug here and it is made by Alliant Powder, Rt 114, P.O. Box 6, Radford, VA 24143-0096 USA. It's very popular here but thanks to crazies hoarding since Obama was elected, it, and other powders, are hard to find. I finally found some Clay Dot, same properties as Red Dot and now made by the same company but now I can't get more of it. But it looks like the French Nobel Vectan might be available regularly here so I'm switching to it. The hell with these other guys! Loading data for it is hard to find but the guy I bought it from showed me a chart that says 17.7 g, Cheddite primer, "Down Range" wad, Remington hull, 1 oz load, gives 1200 feet which is a fine trap load.
    Hope this helps!

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I've got some Nobel No.2 shotgun powder, distributed by Ammunition House, which I think used to be a joint company of CAC and ICI. Does anyone still have the loading data for this powder please?
    Rupert

I have an old Lyman Reloading Manual at home that has data for all the Nobel powders.

I'll post some photos of the data when I'm home this weekend.

Cheers
    Pete

I also have some no2, no80, and 82 cans in my collection. The powder would be approx 40 years old now and could well have started to decompose. Most cans I got given were badly corroded on the inside and smelt. Ph paper checking showed acid so I decided not to use those I loaded some of the 82 much unburnt powder and more pop than bang. so the lot got burnt in a nice little fire. The cans look good in the collection.

Yep Hercles is made by Alliant now I have a 8lb cardboard drum of the Hercules stuff that I shot through my pistols still has a few dregs in the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    rupert - unless you have a good quantity of it and it is in good condition ie has been stored correctly, I would just convert it to lawn fertiliser. Not worth the effort for small quantities and that is from a person with Scottish ancestors. Marty Henry has already covered it well.

P38
    @rupert

Sorry mate.

I checked all my loading manuals and couldn't find any data for Nobel Shotgun powder

I only have data for Nobel rifle and pistol powder.

Cheers
    Pete

Vectan PowderLD12Vectan.pdf

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ar1ss View Post
    Vectan PowderAttachment 72465

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
    Careful, this stuff has no relation to the powders produced at ICI Ardeer.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I thought Red Dot was made by Hercules
    It is, ADI AS30 is similar burning rate, Bullseye and N310 are the fastest,
    If you can't find reload data for Nobels no2 shot gun I would pour it on the garden as fertiliser I think they changed the shotgun powders to numbers like 78 80
    so what you have is very old I have some rifle No 3 and No 0 in sealed containers it is still ok dates from 1978
    be careful with it.