Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By Spitfire

Thread: Norma 284 brass in NZ

Norma 284 brass in NZ

Gunworks is now selling Norma 284 brass! Winchester stuff is $100 for 50 and this is only $117.50 for 50 so for that price be crazy not to give it a go.

I use Norma for my 7 Rem Mag, but I use Lapua 6.5-.284 necked up for my .284 Win. I hate to tell you this, but I got a box of 100 for US$64 when I lived there and brought them with me. I neck up with a K&M expander mandrel, outside neck turn, bushing neck size for 2 thou’ tension and shoot.

Doesn’t answer your question but could be another way to go, although Lapua will be far more spendy.

Meant to say, 162 ELD-X throated long with 58 grains of 2213sc giving 2740 from a standard T3 barrel and 3 shot ES of 6 last time out.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Meant to say, 162 ELD-X throated long with 58 grains of 2213sc giving 2740 from a standard T3 barrel and 3 shot ES of 6 last time out.
    You could likely push that a fair bit more if you wanted. I run 162 Amax at 2700 fps very accurately from a 17 inch 284 barrel. And 180gr eld-m at 2800 from a 22 inch 284
    chainsaw likes this.

Sweet! I wonder what supply will be like when they sell out and you need more?
    ihmsakiwi likes this.

I bought Norma 284 brass a few years ago. That lot though was from a special run by Norma for Bullets.com in the. States.
    Bullets.com is now defunct and it is unclear what happened to their stock.
    Ultra-High-Grade Norma .284 Win Brass Now Available « Daily Bulletin

NZ ammo now list it but Norma themselves do not although that may be because their website may not be up to date.

Interesting.

In F Class several of us found necked up 6.5/284 Norma brass didn't hack the pace with primer pockest loosening up after only a few loadings. I'm up to about my 7th loading with necked up Lapua brass and no problems yet.

A typical F Class 284 load is eg 180gr Berger Hybrids at 2820-2840 fps ish, 32 " barrel.
    Danny likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I bought Norma 284 brass a few years ago. That lot though was from a special run by Norma for Bullets.com in the. States.
    Bullets.com is now defunct and it is unclear what happened to their stock.
    Ultra-High-Grade Norma .284 Win Brass Now Available « Daily Bulletin

NZ ammo now list it but Norma themselves do not although that may be because their website may not be up to date.

Interesting.

In F Class several of us found necked up 6.5/284 Norma brass didn't hack the pace with primer pockest loosening up after only a few loadings. I'm up to about my 7th loading with necked up Lapua brass and no problems yet.

A typical F Class 284 load is eg 180gr Berger Hybrids at 2820-2840 fps ish, 32 " barrel.
    Wow a very mild load then

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    You could likely push that a fair bit more if you wanted. I run 162 Amax at 2700 fps very accurately from a 17 inch 284 barrel. And 180gr eld-m at 2800 from a 22 inch 284
    Thanks for the note. Yes, I could go faster if I wanted to, but it’s really only a 0-400 rifle and it kills everything I shoot just fine.

By the way, your article on .284 load dev a long time ago was one of the major drivers in my decision to build a .284 Win as a good NZ all-rounder. I love it, so thanks for the help. Seventenths’ advice was also very useful.

Cheers
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Wow a very mild load then
    Yeah really at or even beyond the limit of the 284. At the point where it is better to go 7mm SAUM. Same velocities and faster without pressure issues.

I ended up running my 284 at 2810 and it's a happy chappie.

284W is a sweet cartridge.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeah really at or even beyond the limit of the 284. At the point where it is better to go 7mm SAUM. Same velocities and faster without pressure issues.

I ended up running my 284 at 2810 and it's a happy chappie.

284W is a sweet cartridge.
    I'm interested in talking to you more about this I'll p.m. you

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Interesting - I’m running the old 162 AMAX at 2930-2940 fps out of 22 in bbl 284 with RL17. Could push it close to 2980 fps but groups opened and getting early pressure signs. So settled with the slightly lower load.