Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

  1. #1
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

    Hey guys - wondering about running these as medium to long range pill (300 - 500 yd) in 284 or 7mm08. Would like to hear from any one using these for game & at what distances & velocities etc.
    They look way too soft for up close but looking for options in 150 - 154 range for pills.

  2. #2
    Member sambnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    375
    @Ryan_Songhurst will be able to chime in on this one no doubt.

  3. #3
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Hey guys - wondering about running these as medium to long range pill (300 - 500 yd) in 284 or 7mm08. Would like to hear from any one using these for game & at what distances & velocities etc.
    They look way too soft for up close but looking for options in 150 - 154 range for pills.
    They are harder than Amaxes and are fine up close.

    As for long range, read this from the other forum, even through a .270.

    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Nosler long range Accubonds in 270 cal
    Welcome to Sako club.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    150 BT's are excellent pills. Ran them in my Remmag and never had a single issue up close or out to 500. never shot them any further than that but im sure would still be sweet as. Good consistant pills unlike shitty Hornadys quality control issues. Cheaper and easier to get than LRABS

  5. #5
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    150 BT's are excellent pills. Ran them in my Remmag and never had a single issue up close or out to 500. never shot them any further than that but im sure would still be sweet as. Good consistant pills unlike shitty Hornadys quality control issues. Cheaper and easier to get than LRABS
    +1, I am running the 150 NBT in my 284 win, at 2970 fps. Only shot two deer with it so far, one at 25 yds, and one at 315 yds, both performed very well. The previous owner had shot shitloads with them out to 500+ i believe and rated them.

  6. #6
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    7,807

    Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

    Yeah used them in my Saum at about 2950fps.
    Only shot about 12 deer with it but fuck me sideways the really preform at sensible ranges.
    I'd think twice before rushing back to the amax, I was hesitant as to how well they would work, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend them now. @199p has seen them in action.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 02-05-2016 at 04:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Yeah used them in my Saum at about 2950fps.
    Only shot about 12 deer with it but fuck me sideways the really preform at sensible ranges.
    I'd think twice before rushing back to the amax, I was hesitant as to how well they would work, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend them now. @199p has seen them in action.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah mate didn't even blink or spit out the grass it was chewing just dead.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

  8. #8
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    5,227
    They work bloody well, I was using them in my 270win, pushing them at 2850fps they worked well out far and even shot a silly chamois buck that decided to pay us a visit while we sitting around outside the Top Waitaha hut, 130 ish yards, shot him on a bit of an angle in the chest and there was no blow up, nice clean tiny entry hole and massive damage through the vitals before exiting out between the ribs

  9. #9
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128
    thanks guys - sounds like a pretty good rap. Most replies have been based on bigger calibres & higher launch speeds - I'm thinking about running them in 7mm08 (22 in bbl) to stretch the legs a tad. I'm guessing a launch velocity around 2650 - 2750 fps ? Good news is they sound like they aren't going to blow up on close shots & still doing good damage down range. Any one been running them in 7mm08 ? Have also read some good reports on the 150NBT's, but not sure how they'd go on big reds ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    936
    My son uses the Nosler 120 BT and 140 BT on reds and they work fine so no reason why the 150 wouldn't work.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kapiti Coast
    Posts
    415
    Just got myself a box of 142 gn 6.5 LRAB's for the 6.5x55. Guessing they have seriously exaggerated the BC on these. Getting these to replace my 140gn amax load after having witnessed first hand the grenade effect at close range. Will post the outcome.

  12. #12
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,783
    Does anyone know where I can get LRAB 150 grn .270 from?
    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128
    Bryan Litz has published some data on "real" BC's vs the exaggerated BC's claimed by Nosler. This is older data so might be more around now.
    Also very interesting comments about twist rates needed to stabiliize these pills
    Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

  14. #14
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,783
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Bryan Litz has published some data on "real" BC's vs the exaggerated BC's claimed by Nosler. This is older data so might be more around now.
    Also very interesting comments about twist rates needed to stabiliize these pills
    Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine
    Interesting. My 1/10 twist .270wsm falls into marginal for twist rate, so I wonder if its worth the bother?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blenhiem
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Interesting. My 1/10 twist .270wsm falls into marginal for twist rate, so I wonder if its worth the bother?
    I think you 1:10 should be OK as my Finnlite 270win is the same.

    Have shot a lot of animals with mine until I got a 300 blackout.
    Cheers Dogmatics
    Here's another is a link to one of my old hunts with the LRAB's
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Nosler LR AccuBond up date, kill at 818m
    quentin likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Selling Nosler LRAB 6.5 CAL
    By 300MAG in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-11-2015, 10:48 AM
  2. WANTED:.277 Nosler LRAB's
    By Rich007 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-11-2015, 04:34 PM
  3. For Sale - 6.5mm Nosler 129gr LRAB
    By LJP in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 09:23 AM
  4. FS: 6.5mm 129gr Nosler LRAB
    By LJP in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 08:39 AM
  5. WTB - Nosler 130gr 6.5 LRAB
    By LJP in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!