Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

Hey guys - wondering about running these as medium to long range pill (300 - 500 yd) in 284 or 7mm08. Would like to hear from any one using these for game & at what distances & velocities etc.
    They look way too soft for up close but looking for options in 150 - 154 range for pills.

@Ryan_Songhurst will be able to chime in on this one no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Hey guys - wondering about running these as medium to long range pill (300 - 500 yd) in 284 or 7mm08. Would like to hear from any one using these for game & at what distances & velocities etc.
    They look way too soft for up close but looking for options in 150 - 154 range for pills.
    They are harder than Amaxes and are fine up close.

As for long range, read this from the other forum, even through a .270.

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Nosler long range Accubonds in 270 cal
    Welcome to Sako club.

150 BT's are excellent pills. Ran them in my Remmag and never had a single issue up close or out to 500. never shot them any further than that but im sure would still be sweet as. Good consistant pills unlike shitty Hornadys quality control issues. Cheaper and easier to get than LRABS

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    150 BT's are excellent pills. Ran them in my Remmag and never had a single issue up close or out to 500. never shot them any further than that but im sure would still be sweet as. Good consistant pills unlike shitty Hornadys quality control issues. Cheaper and easier to get than LRABS
    +1, I am running the 150 NBT in my 284 win, at 2970 fps. Only shot two deer with it so far, one at 25 yds, and one at 315 yds, both performed very well. The previous owner had shot shitloads with them out to 500+ i believe and rated them.

Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

Yeah used them in my Saum at about 2950fps.
    Only shot about 12 deer with it but fuck me sideways the really preform at sensible ranges.
    I'd think twice before rushing back to the amax, I was hesitant as to how well they would work, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend them now. @199p has seen them in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 02-05-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Yeah used them in my Saum at about 2950fps.
    Only shot about 12 deer with it but fuck me sideways the really preform at sensible ranges.
    I'd think twice before rushing back to the amax, I was hesitant as to how well they would work, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend them now. @199p has seen them in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah mate didn't even blink or spit out the grass it was chewing just dead.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

They work bloody well, I was using them in my 270win, pushing them at 2850fps they worked well out far and even shot a silly chamois buck that decided to pay us a visit while we sitting around outside the Top Waitaha hut, 130 ish yards, shot him on a bit of an angle in the chest and there was no blow up, nice clean tiny entry hole and massive damage through the vitals before exiting out between the ribs

thanks guys - sounds like a pretty good rap. Most replies have been based on bigger calibres & higher launch speeds - I'm thinking about running them in 7mm08 (22 in bbl) to stretch the legs a tad. I'm guessing a launch velocity around 2650 - 2750 fps ? Good news is they sound like they aren't going to blow up on close shots & still doing good damage down range. Any one been running them in 7mm08 ? Have also read some good reports on the 150NBT's, but not sure how they'd go on big reds ?

My son uses the Nosler 120 BT and 140 BT on reds and they work fine so no reason why the 150 wouldn't work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Just got myself a box of 142 gn 6.5 LRAB's for the 6.5x55. Guessing they have seriously exaggerated the BC on these. Getting these to replace my 140gn amax load after having witnessed first hand the grenade effect at close range. Will post the outcome.

Does anyone know where I can get LRAB 150 grn .270 from?
    Thanks.

Bryan Litz has published some data on "real" BC's vs the exaggerated BC's claimed by Nosler. This is older data so might be more around now.
    Also very interesting comments about twist rates needed to stabiliize these pills
    Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Bryan Litz has published some data on "real" BC's vs the exaggerated BC's claimed by Nosler. This is older data so might be more around now.
    Also very interesting comments about twist rates needed to stabiliize these pills
    Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine
    Interesting. My 1/10 twist .270wsm falls into marginal for twist rate, so I wonder if its worth the bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Interesting. My 1/10 twist .270wsm falls into marginal for twist rate, so I wonder if its worth the bother?
    I think you 1:10 should be OK as my Finnlite 270win is the same.

Have shot a lot of animals with mine until I got a 300 blackout.
    Cheers Dogmatics
    Here's another is a link to one of my old hunts with the LRAB's
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Nosler LR AccuBond up date, kill at 818m
    quentin likes this.