Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By flock

Thread: Nosler 60gn 224 Partions

Nosler 60gn 224 Partions

With all the discussion recently regarding the 223 and deer I was wondering if anybody has or is using these and what the results were. I use the 6.5 125gn and they have been very good.

However I can only recall one rifle in a very long list that has shot the partitions really well ( being the current one - a 6.5x47). So are the 60 gn ones also fussy??

Yes. A bit fussy. I can send you some. PM me your address.
    7mmwsm, tetawa, Tentman and 1 others like this.

The 222/223 are small calibers which work best if all the (relatively small amount of) energy is dumped in the animal and tissue damage is done through fragments. Therefore a more explosive projectile is desired. Look at Willi and his 222 with a 55gr soft point projectile past 200m. If you go solid (TTSX) or nearly solid (Partition) you want to make sure you still have enough speed aka close range to take advantage of the hydrostatic shock with bang / flop.

Usually 2 holes where air and liquid can leak from is best but not with a small caliber as a solid projectile only does limited damage and leaves with a small second hole and takes all that energy with it that could have turned the inside to red liquid with a explosive projectile.

Just my 2 cents and experience anyway ...

And to your point, the more steps involved manufacturing a projectile, the more room for error gets introduced, hence why partition and bonded bullets can be tricky to tune in a rifle. That's why competition shooters use the simple design of a jacket lead bullet.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  16.9 KB
    60g NP Wasn't happy with this accuracy at 100 don't know why I even wrote in 5 shots.
    Phil_H and dannyb like this.