Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nosler Custom or Lapua Match brass?

Nosler Custom or Lapua Match brass?

Loading for Tikka 223 Varmint want the best accuracy I can get but the lapua brass is double the price of the Nosler............any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Nosler..........
    Has anybody used either?

Cheers

Caretaker
    Both work well, the Nosler brass is made by Norma so you cant go wrong either way.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

There would be very little, if anything, in it at all. Lapua may last longer.

Cool, thanks guys, settled, Nosler it is!

I have only ever used nosler brass in 7 rem mag. It was very soft and the neck wall thickness was all over the place. I would never buy it again after that experience. Premium brass my arse.

A mate of mine got a packet of lapua brass that the necks were thicker than all our previous batches and to make matters worse that was what he used to measure for his neck sizing bushings so just goes to show the wholly grail of brass is not always perfect!
    in saying that i would hesitate to buy a calibre that lapua brass did not come in
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    I have only ever used nosler brass in 7 rem mag. It was very soft and the neck wall thickness was all over the place. I would never buy it again after that experience. Premium brass my arse.
    Kirby Allen, gunsmith in the states, has the same opinion of the Nosler brass.

Caretaker
    As will everyone else that uses it, turn the necks to give it a tidy up, which is standard practise for the LR lads and don't run it full throttle, again standard practise, and its fine.

Yes but the issue is Nosler Custom brass is solid as a premium brand (at a premium price) that has been weight sorted etc. It shouldn't need to have necks tidied up etc. You may as well just by winchester or remington and do the work yourself.
    steven likes this.

Caretaker
    The real issue is unrealistic expectations, the brass has been formed in a die, not on a lathe.

Your talking thousandths of an inch, and only a few thousandths

Your paying for the weight sorting and flash hole prep, nothing more.

Advertising it as " premium" brass is fine, its better as weight and flash hole uniformity goes compared to the other " non premium" lines.

There is no inferral or implication that it will stand up to digital measuring instruments wielded by accuracy nuts wanting to lazily skip some essential brass prep, who's rifles should sensibly have a turned neck chamber any way.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 05-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Both work well, the Nosler brass is made by Norma so you cant go wrong either way.
    URL?

for 308 Lapua is considered very good (100 = $120) with norma (100 = $139) about the same give or take a bit. Nosler is then $89 for 50, or $178 per hundred and considered not so good . In which case there is no justification for dissing Nossler. NB Lapua Plama match (100 = $170).

Bugger, trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff is harder than it should be.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    URL?

for 308 Lapua is considered very good (100 = $120) with norma (100 = $139) about the same give or take a bit. Nosler is then $89 for 50, or $178 per hundred and considered not so good . In which case there is no justification for dissing Nossler. NB Lapua Plama match (100 = $170).

Bugger, trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff is harder than it should be.
    Price can decieve if used as a gauge of quality, in this case its just a number the shop owner hopes he can get away with

Your paying for the weight sorting and flash hole prep, nothing more.

Advertising it as " premium" brass is fine, its better as weight and flash hole uniformity goes compared to the other " non premium" lines.
    So what looks like a 50% mark up for diddly, not really surprised. A few ppl have commented / written on products that cost an arm and a leg over the std yet show little evidence of being any better than that the marketing ability of getting someone to part with a lot more readies.

Price can decieve if used as a gauge of quality, in this case its just a number the shop owner hopes he can get away with
    Yes, very true this seems to be a common thread. Though its more like the manufacturer and their "MRRP". Dont price what it costs to make plus a % but sell it for what ppl will pay. Im getting p*ssed that tools in the USA priced at $700US are $1700NZD here....let alone the poor choice....

Just to be clear on my experience with the nosler brass the individual necks on most measured between 11 thou and 15 thou. 4 thou variation on an individual peice of premium quality brass is not acceptable. This was over 200 pieces of a single lot. May have been a bad batch but I won't bother again.