Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By LBD
  • 7 Post By Spudattack

Thread: Now here's a question......

Now here's a question......

To keep track of how many loadings each case has had, I've seen some people cut a small tally mark on the head stamp of the case each time they reload it. Do we reckon this is going to affect headspacing if used on full length sized cases? I've heard that back in the day, those target shooting with 303s would sneakily clip the rims of the round with pliers just enough to make a deformation that would tighten up the case against the bolt when close and effectively cause a tighter fit in the chamber, this was allegedly done for accuracys sake. Makes me wonder whether small notches on the case head of a rimless cartridge would also effect how it chambers?

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    To keep track of how many loadings each case has had, I've seen some people cut a small tally mark on the head stamp of the case each time they reload it. Do we reckon this is going to affect headspacing if used on full length sized cases? I've heard that back in the day, those target shooting with 303s would sneakily clip the rims of the round with pliers just enough to make a deformation that would tighten up the case against the bolt when close and effectively cause a tighter fit in the chamber, this was allegedly done for accuracys sake. Makes me wonder whether small notches on the case head of a rimless cartridge would also effect how it chambers?
    Good question... one I have pondered for a while...

I considered pin punch marks, hack saw cuts, letter stamps.... but recently I have peen pondering a more classy idea... laser etching, my idea is still early in the development but it appears there is a few different option on the market.

The other thing to consider is a serial number kept track of on a spread sheet.... instead of one notch per reload...

Will probably try a 2.5 mm high, two or three letter code stamped here.... but on an empty case... Doh!

Name:  Serial number.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  58.7 KB
    zimmer likes this.

I just have cases separated in tubs numbered up in accordance. Throw them in when I get back from the range and only clean and load them then mark the box’s once loaded. Simple easy and handling.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

All my match sets of brass are numbered in sequence. Makes it very easy to track them on a SS. Also helps isolate that one piece of brass that gives a poor shot everytime despite all the checking you submit it too.

Laser etching would be brilliant.

There is generally room to number on the bases. I've numbered Peterson, Lapua and Norma. With some of my calibers with less space I have put half the number on one side and the other half opposite. I always orientate the brand to the top. It doesn't take long to do.

Smaller cases like 223 would be harder on the base and I haven't bothered with my 223 brass.

Just give them an extra grain or two of powder, then you can just count the ejector marks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I just have cases separated in tubs numbered up in accordance. Throw them in when I get back from the range and only clean and load them then mark the box’s once loaded. Simple easy and handling.
    That's what I'd been doing up until now, but I can see myself getting mixed up if I'm on a field style shoot with a high round count over several days

Greetings all,
    I used multiple batches of cases with the same headstamp and weight and handload each batch when they are finished. The times loaded and what has been done to them inmcluding powder, powder batch, projectile is also recorded. This allows me to change batches in the middle of a shoot and not lose track of which is which. I have found that most .223 cases fall into two weight ranges so each .223 gets one weight range. The exceptions are Federal which is light and S&B plus other continental cases which are much heavier. These are set aside for different loads.
    Regards Grandpamac.