Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By the creeper
  • 1 Post By The bomb

Thread: NZ Hunter Mag Bush-pig loads

NZ Hunter Mag Bush-pig loads

I found a few posts online referring to NZ Hunter magazine doing some load data a few years ago of 16" 308 and 7-08
    Can anyone tell me what issue that was?

Banned
    Can't help with which issue it was in, but below are some words from GD himself

Here's a bit more info for anyone considering a Bushpig, whether one of our originals, or a copy from someone else. As some have said above, we cut the barrel to 16 inches which brings the can back to just off the forend on a T3 or a Remington. On a Kimber we cut them to 15.25 inches to keep the can in the same place. We fit custom threaded cans made for us by HRE or Gunworks, depending on whether the customer wants the longer skinnier look, or the shorter fatter look. We then flute the barrel and the bolt to remove as much weight as we're adding with the can. We then also add our safety half co*k system (should have patented that!) which locks the bolt in the half co*k position so it can't be knocked open or closed. The end result is a bush rifle that weighs less than the original and is the same overall length as a 20 inch barreled carbine.
    If someone wants maximum weight reduction we fit either one of our NZH pattern carbon fibre stocks made by McMillan, or one of our very own made right here in little old NZ STUG stocks.
    We also matte black anodise the T3 alloy rings, which look so much better than the silver shiny ones, or we use Talley 7000 series or Optiloks if you'd rather.

We've been making them in 338, 308, 7mm-08, 260 and 243. The most popular are in 308 and 7mm-08, but the 260 isn't far behind. The go-to bullets in the 308 are the 110gn TTSX at a comfortable 3150fps or the 130gn TTSX at 2950fps. The new 125gn AB also works great as 2T3s said above and can be pushed a little faster than the 130gn TTSX. Our usual powder choice is H335, but with the right combination of high capacity brass and CFE223 powder, you can get up to another 100fps on these velocities if you're prepared to work with compressed loads. The best goat or varmint bullet is the 125gn Nosler Ballistic Tip at about or over 3000fps depending on powder choice.

In the 7mm-08 the go-tos are the 120gn TTSX at 2950fps for big game and the 120gn Nosler Ballistic Tip for varmints, goats or smaller deer. CFE223 or 2208 are our powders of choice here.

In the 260 the bullets are the 100gn TTSX for big game and the 95gn V-Max for varmints, both at around 3050fps. Again, CFE223 or 2208 are the powders we use.

In the 243 its the 80gn GMX and the 75gn V-Max, and in the 338 Federal its the 165gn TTSX. We haven't done a varmint load in the 338 yet, hasn't really been the call for it!

Anyway, that gives you most of the info. We have new Bushpigs in 7mm-08 and 308 here all ready to go if anyone wants one right now. We can provide one in any calibre with about a week or so's notice. If you already have the rifle and want us to turn it into a Bushpig, or want prices for complete Bushpigs or have any questions at all, just email me at editor@nzhunter.co.nz and we can talk you through the options.
    Greg

NZH T3 Bushpig
    308T3BushPig_zps3ceb343d.jpg
    akaroa1, winaa and ZQLewis like this.

That's gold Thanks

The 110g Barnes are lethal at bush ranges and mine aren’t going anywhere near 3000fps but still knocked a big red hind clean off her feet at 30m..my load is 45g ar2206h.
    winaa likes this.

Slight thread drift.
    @Creeper has anyone asked for one in 358 win yet??
    I wasn't game enough to get my 358 win barrel cut that short (still 20" + HRE can). Would be interested in how that would shoot at 16".
    Have only used 158 gr XTP which at full power are only a varmint load and 225gr GK (2450 fps 2208) which are devastating under 100mtr.
    Zq

We were running 120 gr Barnes in some of my friends T3 7mm-08’s but they were just too expensive so we switched to 120 gr Sierras with 43 gr of AR2206H which gives nice tight groupings with our longest kills on red stags at 300 mtrs where it does the job beautifully. One friend has even recently been south shooting two nice Thar bulls & a Chamois buck with that load.

If you want a harder projectile then switch to a 120 gr ballistic tip