Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ok 6mm guys, let's go!

Ok 6mm guys, let's go!

Right you 6mm fellas and fallasses? (Pretty sure that's a word) which 6mm owner is the superior human being?

I have heard there are some 6mm dasher owners, but I have never seen one in the wild,

You 6br guys have been on the 6mm bandwagon longer than most, you the top dogs?, keep in mind your rifle should work on the ground, not just a bench.

6x47 lapua? Sounds exotic, if you aren't currently riding your Ducati or eating some biscotti make yourselves known.

.243 ? You guys got one because your grandfather had one aye?

6 Creedmoor? I'll be honest with you guys, I don't care how bad the traffic is in Auckland, keep to the topic.

Long action/magnum 6mm team? I bet your v8 is great and your offroader is sick, no I don't know why your wife left you.

Other 6mm wildcatters, if you can dumb it down for us normies it would be appreciated.

Any other 6mm descriptions are welcome in the comments

6.5 guys, so last week.....

**if you are offended you are taking this too seriously

Well now we have that out of the way, I have a dream. A .243AI feeding from a long action to make the most of the deck 6mm 100+gr eld pills. Pity I have a short action.....

I currently have a t3 .243 all dolled up and its shooting great. Can I out-shoot it yet, no. Do I want bigger/better/faster, of course. I currently have 1000+rounds on the first shortened barrel, and was thinking of shooting the next 500-1000.as .243ai, I have a newfound interest and places I can shoot long now. Is there such a gain in the AI? It looks the part (which I'm sure is at least 50% of the outcome). Or should I use up the rest of the barrels life as is and rechamber in anything but 6mm Creedmoor? I plan on target shooting up to 1000m, and taking the odd critter for the freezer.

Thoughts?

Thanks Lars

sneakywaza I got
    You have a T3, get a long mag and bolt stop. build a 6mm06, you get 6mm Weatherby performance on cases easy to get or make. I think Trueflite have a reamer. I run a .243 and kill stuff dead. Not cause my granpappy had one, might be cause I am a granpappy. Ai is dumb.
    Micky Duck likes this.

243ai would be cool in a long action tikka for a hunting type setup
    Other wise 6mm Creedmoor. Im a massive fan proud of it
    Own 4
    Hands down best cartridge haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts??? I think you clearly have too kuch time on your hands.... but I like your sense of humour.

6mm?? Nah. I've converted to 7mm.

northdude
    243 for me it just works
    tetawa, Bill999 and planenutz like this.

Ive owned, shot and build several 243 Ackleys - unbelievable LR calibre. Normally with 28 to 33" heavy Varmint barrels.

When I started competing in PRS/NRL compititions I got talked into a 6 Dasher(still have a few), later I switched over to 6mm Creedmoor. (One of the responders on this thread owns one of several Creeds I've build.) The creedmoor just works.

In my opinion the 6 Creed is right on the 243AIs doorstep in regards to performance.

Its a personal choice thing. I'll always have a 243AI in my save. It just looks the deal.
    Bigash likes this.

6mm ackley job done
    mimms2 likes this.

The standard 6mm Remington is hard to beat I am on my third one also have a 6mmBR another must have, Could be 6mmCM around the corner.
    Tommy likes this.

@Wingman....I believe you have the little brother with huge performance.....

GWH
    Yeah the 6mm is pretty good for shooting LR rabbits and hares and is a good step up from a 22 cal centrefire.

If you want decent power at distance for bigger stuff 7mm is where its at, if your sexuality is questionable then 6.5mm may be more applicable.

Now in all seriousness, any of those 6mm cartridges you mention from 6-47L and bigger with a fast twist barrel so you can shoot a bullet like a 108 eld would be perfect.

Is your 243 barrel a fast enough twist to make best use of the extra capacity of AI to push heavy for cal bullets. Most factory 243s are too slow in twist rate for 100gr plus.

If this is of any interest to you...
    https://www.6mmbr.com/varmint.html

Im currently running a 6mm dasher and a 6x45 Rem.. have owned in the past several 6mmBRs, .243 Win, 6mm grendel and a 6mmPPC.
    I have the .243 AI reamer that I must use some day, only worth while in a 1-8" twist IMO. @Flyblown sent me an interesting quickload chart comparing the 6mm Creedmoor .243AI 6mmDasher and 6x47 Lapua I think it was that was very interesting. I ended up choosing to build the dasher over the others as it really keeps up with amazing efficiency. Flyblown, if you are not stuck in Auckland traffic or queuing for your soy latte in a glass, drop that chart here mate if you still have it..
    Personally not a big fan of the current 6mm hunting bullets available, the best I have found is the 95gr Nosler BT which I run in my Dasher through a 1-9" Shilen tube
    Last edited by Wingman; 20-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    243 for me it just works
    Iv run one for years on fallow, reds, goats, tahr, pigs and what ever else pokes it's head out and everything's gone down like proverbial sack of potatoes

It's by no means exciting but it's low recoil and zaps stuff far harder than than a 223
    I run a factory kimber 243 and can't fault it

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Im currently running a 6mm dasher and a 6x45 Rem.. have owned in the past several 6mmBRs, .243 Win, 6mm grendel and a 6mmPPC.
    I have the .243 AI reamer that I must use some day, only worth while in a 1-8" twist IMO. @Flyblown sent me an interesting quickload chart comparing the 6mm Creedmoor .243AI 6mmDasher and 6x47 Lapua I think it was that was very interesting. I ended up choosing to build the dasher over the others as it really keeps up with amazing efficiency. Flyblown, if you are not stuck in Auckland traffic or queuing for your soy latte in a glass, drop that chart here mate if you still have it..
    Personally not a big fan of the current 6mm hunting bullets available, the best I have found is the 95gr Nosler BT which I run in my Dasher through a 1-9" Shilen tube
    Try the 95VLD ( Targex similar) and shoot them in the chest, big Reds, bull Tahr and Fallow drop on the spot, not had one go more than 5m. 90 and 105 Speer Hot Cor, the Speer 100 Grandslam are decent killers, lots of useful .243 bullets about for standard twist rates.
    Matt2308 likes this.