Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: Old A-Max's

Caretaker

Old A-Max's

Digging in my reloading gear I found these two 7mm escapees from my Fathers reloading drawer, rescued many moons ago, -precursors to the A-Max,
    I think they were called National Match.

I had a musket ball with a bit of a yoik on one side but the kids have long since lost that, Has anyone got any old interesting projectiles lurking around?

R93
    I love finding old stuff like that 7mm. I have a bit of old military stuff that I have picked up over the years. I have a couple shards of grenade shrapnel that I found lodged in my own jacket, I only found them because I cut myself rather badly on a piece when I put it on one day. Gave me a cold shiver.

Do you recall acquiring the shrapnel ?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Do you recall acquiring the shrapnel ?
    No. But I know how and when. I didnt feel it at the time.

R93
    I am sure I have heard that story before or something very similar it could have been about the same soldier? Tough buggers back then eh? I could listen to old war stories all day if the men involved were keen to tell them. I did get to hear some amazing tales from plenty of vets during my career in the army.

One of my old OC's was in the Rhodesian light infantry. He had a mate that was caught in a well set ambush. He happened to be standing with his foot very close to a claymore when it went off. The blast sent him flying and into a ditch wich in turn saved his life from effective fire. All he had was a bruise on his foot and up his calf from the blast! Apparently due to the claymore having in a sense, a shaped charge, the pellets followed the blast wave around his leg and not into it. He was a volunteer and when he came right, apart from his hearing he quickly unvolunteered.
    I have oodles more but I think I have highjacked 7mm's thread enough.
    Last edited by R93; 21-04-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Caretaker
    Keep going R93, great to hear what went on for those guys. They get full respect from me.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Keep going R93, great to hear what went on for those guys. They get full respect from me.
    Righto another quick one that is a little more modern.
    I cant remember exactly who told me this one. I am sure it was a colleague who got to represent us at an anniversary jump in france that was put on by the Brits.
    Anyway he was a witness or part of a conversation between a young US ranger and D Day vet he was assisting in a wheel chair.

The young ranger claimed with bravado he had over 300 full equip jumps and never had a problem. The vet obviously displaying his wings promptred the young fella to ask how many jumps have you done sir. "2" was the reply. "2" says the ranger "How the hell did you earn your wings with only 2 jumps?" The old soldier says " Well I did one practice jump and one into Arnhem"
    "How many combat jumps have you done son" he asked.

Very funny and sharp from the old fella and it may be only funny to soldiers sorry but I remember rolling around on the floor when I heard it.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Kiwishooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Digging in my reloading gear I found these two 7mm escapees from my Fathers reloading drawer, rescued many moons ago, -precursors to the A-Max,
    I think they were called National Match.

I had a musket ball with a bit of a yoik on one side but the kids have long since lost that, Has anyone got any old interesting projectiles lurking around?
    I still have about 400 of these sitting on my shelf........just waiting for a 7mm.....Kiwi

Caretaker
    Kiwishooter, -Are you going to sink them into Targets or Deer?