Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By Woody

Thread: Olin Ball Powder Type 452, 1979

Olin Ball Powder Type 452, 1979

I have a fair bit of this in excellent condition. Research suggests it became Win 452AA. also that it was the original powder for 5.56 (223) military round. Plenty of data for Win 452AA but I'd be interested in actual Olin Data if anyone has it available. Cheers.

452AA is a very fast pistol and shotgun powder that will take any rifle apart if used in rifle quantities. It is not and never has been a rifle powder. 452AA is a sandy grey colour and very fine, although mere appearance should never be used for ID purposes. Don't use it!
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    452AA is a very fast pistol and shotgun powder that will take any rifle apart if used in rifle quantities. It is not and never has been a rifle powder. 452AA is a sandy grey colour and very fine, although mere appearance should never be used for ID purposes. Don't use it!
    yes I am aware of Win 425AA thanks. I have no intention of using it in a rifle. Win452AA is fine in Pistol loads such as 45acp and the Olin should be also properly worked up, and if I can get data, for Shotgun. The possible 5.56 connection for the Olin is of historical interest. From all accounts the original 5.56 military powder was so dirty it simply fouled the weapons and jammed them up. Better powders came along. Whether Olin Ball Type 452 is or is not that original powder is simply academic. If anyone actually knows about the Olin powder I'd be keen to hear.

...so as I keep looking I found this interesting writeup. The Great 5.56mm Propellant Controversy | LooseRounds.com The original Olin powder for the 5.56 was in fact Olin WC846. An interesting read if anyone is interested...

40 year old rifle powder for sale?
    What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    What could go wrong?
    The response you'll get to that is a zillion people are using powders dating back to WWII all with excellent results.
    Good lawn fertile methinks....
    shooternz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    What could go wrong?
    Who said it was for sale?

And do you actually have experience of 40yr old powder "going wrong"?

I use old powders regularly..some of my ICI Nobel powders are closer to 60 yrs old. They are sweet, fresh and reliable. Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol.

Ball powders in particular are preferred for military use because of their longevity and stability in loaded ammo. How is it worse off in a carefully stored original container?

But hey, whatever floats yer boat....

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Who said it was for sale?

And do you actually have experience of 40yr old powder "going wrong"?

I use old powders regularly..some of my ICI Nobel powders are closer to 60 yrs old. They are sweet, fresh and reliable. Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol.

Ball powders in particular are preferred for military use because of their longevity and stability in loaded ammo. How is it worse off in a carefully stored original container?

But hey, whatever floats yer boat....
    You're correct.
    40 year old rifle powder and incorrect loading data?
    What could go wrong?

I can recall using both 452 and 473 yonks ago. Definately two different powders. I have some old loadi g books somewhere but let me know first what it is you want to load it for please.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.