Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Opps ! Bugger !@#@#!

Opps ! Bugger !@#@#!

Now a small stuff up - pulled a bunch rounds loaded with N560 - its expensive and with my Scottish heritage I can't help myself.

The very last round was loaded with 2217 - realised after I had tipped the powder in to the container that I had pulled a 175 EDL X not a 162 AMax like all the rest. Like many a scots rugby team I managed to lose concentration and drop the ball big time - just the one round : 70 grains into 250 grams of powder say 3800 grains less than 2%

So do I now fertilize the garden with this "blend" or do I give it a good long shake to mix it up nicely and see how it goes?

Cheers

AMac

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    Now a small stuff up - pulled a bunch rounds loaded with N560 - its expensive and with my Scottish heritage I can't help myself.

The very last round was loaded with 2217 - realised after I had tipped the powder in to the container that I had pulled a 175 EDL X not a 162 AMax like all the rest. Like many a scots rugby team I managed to lose concentration and drop the ball big time - just the one round : 70 grains into 250 grams of powder say 3800 grains less than 2%

So do I now fertilize the garden with this "blend" or do I give it a good long shake to mix it up nicely and see how it goes?

Cheers

AMac
    Mix and shoot

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    nor-west likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Gkp
    You might be onto a new secret hot sauce
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    How similar are the powders in terms of granule size? If they are very different getting good mixing may be a problem, but may make it possible to separate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    How similar are the powders in terms of granule size? If they are very different getting good mixing may be a problem, but may make it possible to separate the two.
    My eye sight is not going to cope with that task !
    Gibo likes this.

Give the container a good shake and shoot it.
    outlander and Gkp like this.

NRT
    Would not concern me in the slightest that's what bolts are for handle shit don't start me u paranoid grannies

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    My eye sight is not going to cope with that task !
    If they are different size grains the sifting them apart would be a potential option.

What is the difference in burn rate between them?
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Greetings AMac,
    AR2217 is slower than N560 so is probably not going to give you problems but will do nothing for accuracy. With Scottish heritage as well I also break down ammunition for the components but never return the reclaimed powder to the original container. It is discarded if I have not loaded it myself or kept separate until used. The empty pill bottles that we older chaps seem to accumulate are great for this but need to be clearly labeled.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Both extruded powders so should mix ok and if anything be less pressure than 100% N560 loads.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks All

Will give it a crack and see how I get on - got very good velocity out of my 7mag with N560, will be testing with 2217 initially so will be interesting compare 2 different powders.

Grandpamac - thanks I will follow your advice in the future should I find the need to recycle powder again

Cheers

AMac

Maybe we should send the hat around to get some funds for you so you can do the right thing and biff it !!!!
    I fell down the stupid hole myself and tipped a little bit of powder in the wrong bottle while loading super and sub sonic 338 federal loads.
    The granules were a different colour and size so after a clean out i was sure i had removed all but a small amount and mixed it in.
    I loaded some test rounds and put them over the chrony only to find a 300 FPS extreme spread !

Try this for stupid then. Loading some bp rounds for my shotgun through the mec, I take the powder bottle off and just use it for shot emptying the powder in the bar into a case and then back into the bottle. Last time I grabbed a case emptied the bar and tipped it into the bottle, only then realising it had 80 grains of 2f in it to begin with. Can't pick it out and 700x is pretty fast already so we had a nice little fireworks display on the front lawn, every now and then it would get a bit of a rush on.

when pulling rounds I dump into cup....THEN tip into other container.....you pick the wrongun straight away....
    recently pulled couple of hundy older loads due to changing rifle and thankfully picked it each time before disaster.
    as others have suggested...load it up and go shoot something,

For the benefit of any one considering taking up reloading,read a manual.
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.