Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The original WTF bullet? Wow.

The original WTF bullet? Wow.

OK might be somewhat of an over-reaction, but take a look at this. Anyone used one? I did a google search to see if it had come up on here before, doesn’t look like it.

https://rws-ammunition.com/en/infota...ws-uni-classic

So this RWS Uni Classic is an out there design, I’ve never seen anything like it. Classic? Er, not really.

Name:  4B7C6317-05AE-4155-B247-5E01222E36D1.png
Views: 664
Size:  25.6 KB

Nickel plate steel jacket, two different core materials and a shape like a weird sex toy. When my mate sent me a picture, I thought it must be anti-tank ordnance. But no, it’s anti big ass hoofed things.

There’s a softer version it seems, the ID Classic, for thin skinned game.

Name:  BC99DC96-9867-4D27-AA70-8A629C3F514E.png
Views: 657
Size:  180.8 KB

So any experience of these? There’s some promotional material but I haven’t found a proper terminal performance video yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just...say...the...word

They get good reviews over here (Scandinavia).

The RWS being the most popular behind Barnes.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Amazing how different things are over there. Monolithics yeah fine, but I had no idea that nickel plated steel bullets even existed.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Amazing how different things are over there. Monolithics yeah fine, but I had no idea that nickel plated steel bullets even existed.
    The Germans have been doing that since the war as far as I know.
    Probably even further back?
    Micky Duck likes this.

I’ve clearly had a sheltered upbringing!
    Just...say...the...word

What does a nickle plated steel jacket traveling at 3000 ft/s do to a barrel?

Considering that the Germans don’t have any game that’s bigger, tougher, scarier or harder to kill than we do, other than the odd moose which we have too then I have often wondered why they have such a love affair with super hard bullets.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by JaSa View Post
    What does a nickle plated steel jacket traveling at 3000 ft/s do to a barrel?
    Nothing worse than copper does.
    Burning powder wears the bore more than the bullets sliding down it.

The bullets are a pre emtive solution to the EU's proposed ban on lead projectiles.
    I think perhaps you might have to use non toxic shot in some EU countries if you want to sell the meat.
    Flyblown likes this.

Ah ha, I thought that might be the case. Bloody EU.
    Just...say...the...word

Jit
    Ive used the whole range of RWS whilst hunting in Germany for many years, they are accurate well thought out designs with great features depending on your objectives. I've used TIG, TUG TOG, and H-mantle. The exterior design allows for hair at the site, the internal designs can guarantee exit wounds and or good blood trails etc. None are really designed for long-range, but for humane hunting for game destined for the kitchen.
    Check out the RWS website. Very pricey even for Germans, but they don't shoot tons and we used GECO ammo for practice as it could print to a very similar POA to 100m
    Moa Hunter and Flyblown like this.

So TIG, TUG etc are Brenneke bullets, not RWS @Jit? Or are they one in the same thing? Certainly look very similar.

On the Brenneke website they say “TIG® continuously proves to be one of the most successful bullets for all light and moderately heavy types of game on a worldwide scale.” Which is probably a little bit optimistic considering I’ve never come across them before.

I remember when I lived in southern Africa I hunted with a few Europeans and one thing that I recall now was how used they were to tracking long runner deer with dogs. It’s a fair while ago now but my hazy memory recalls a strong preference for very hard bullets that passed through and did little peripheral damage, and the bang flop DRT we tend to strive for here was not particularly important to them. Almost as if the tracking of the deer with the dogs was as much or more fun than the shooting of it.
    Jit likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I still have a packet of 100 norma 30 cal projectiles. 180 grain lead tipped cup and core steel jacketed nickel plated from 1960's. A magnet lifts them easily.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Considering that the Germans don’t have any game that’s bigger, tougher, scarier or harder to kill than we do, other than the odd moose which we have too then I have often wondered why they have such a love affair with super hard bullets.
    Germans hunt Africa more than Kiwi's do some of the RWS and other German bullet manufactures have been making high tech projectiles
    since the early 1900's Nosler Partions were 25 years after the same design was in use in Europe, Norma had steel , Like norsk/nickel jacket bullets in the 1970's
    called the Triclad.
    Like norsk says they are no worse than copper, barrel steel is a lot harder than any jacket material in use, The gas cutting is what wears the barrel out and bad cleaning
    ask a barrel maker they will tell you more barrels are stuffed by cleaning than shooting.
    Moa Hunter and 338MAN mk2 like this.

@Cordite.... man you must have an old 220grn round nose soft point somewhere to enlighten these heathens who cant picture nickle plated projectiles... werent Norma vulcans silver too??
    Cordite likes this.

So what's this silver/nickel looking thing then?? Guess.

From a 270wsm @ 300 yds. Full length deer penetration. Found in HQ.

Name:  IMG_2157.jpeg
Views: 252
Size:  280.4 KB

(please resist reading my palm. I abhor bad news)
    338MAN mk2 likes this.