Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Permit to import

Permit to import

Sorry if this has been covered previous I missed it

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/fi...ssess-firearms

The way I read this now we need a permit to import any part of a firearm, not just restricted fire arms, so this would include springs, rings, iron sights etc.

Is that correct ?

Is there a cost to obtaining an import permit? I'm thinking they are going to be overwhelmed soon and there will suddenly be a shortage of parts etc.

Sorry put this in the wrong area but don't know how to move it, please do if you know how.

Yep anything that goes on a firearm needs an import permit, probably even slings.

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered previous I missed it

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/fi...ssess-firearms

The way I read this now we need a permit to import any part of a firearm, not just restricted fire arms, so this would include springs, rings, iron sights etc.

Is that correct ?

Is there a cost to obtaining an import permit? I'm thinking they are going to be overwhelmed soon and there will suddenly be a shortage of parts etc.
    Yes, I do not think it is a new requirement. See the Arms Act 9183 Section 16 - any part of a firearm requires a permit to import.

You need to fill out form POL67B (https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...mit-import.pdf)

Once completed, send it to Permitfirearms@police.govt.nz and they will help you.

I went through this process a few weeks ago for a new scope and dovetail adaptors I brought in. Had the permit in less than a week. Had no issues through customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

I have imported triggers and small parts over the years and never had issues without one but I guess this is the new norm, @janleroux was there any cost for permit?

Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    See the Arms Act 9183 Section 16 - any part of a firearm requires a permit to import.
    Not quite correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arms Act 1983
    part—
    (a) in relation to a pistol, restricted weapon, or military
    style semi-automatic firearm, includes any thing
    , such
    as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, which,
    while not essential for the discharge by a pistol, re-
    stricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic
    firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile,
    is designed or intended to be an integral part of a pistol,
    restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic
    firearm; and
    (b) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that
    firearm
    Emphasis mine.
    LEGALLY only the action needs a permit, unless it's a pistol, mssa or restricted airgun.

Not to say Police don't arbitrarily make their own interpretations until challenged, nor that you being legally right will stop them/ customs from seizing your shit and you having to fight it in court. But that's the "letter of the law", such as it is.
    Burb122, mikee, Cordite and 1 others like this.

Looking further into this, the Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines, and Parts) Amendment Act 2019 ammends the Arms Act 1983.

And where normally Acts come into force 12 months after being written, or receiving "royal assent" it seems this act was assented on 11 April 2019.
    Smells like an abuse of process, or some outright bullshit has gone down.

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    I have imported triggers and small parts over the years and never had issues without one but I guess this is the new norm, @janleroux was there any cost for permit?
    No cost - single form to fill in and email to them. Once approved I got an email copy straight away and the original via the post.

Permit to import

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    Not quite correct.

Emphasis mine.
    LEGALLY only the action needs a permit, unless it's a pistol, mssa or restricted airgun.

Not to say Police don't arbitrarily make their own interpretations until challenged, nor that you being legally right will stop them/ customs from seizing your shit and you having to fight it in court. But that's the "letter of the law", such as it is.
    I can not disagree - the answer I gave is the one I got in so many words directly from one of the Administrators in the Arms Act Service Delivery Group.

In case you might be confused (understandably) nearly anything that has anything to do with or might have sometime in the past or future may/will be stopped by customs & you will be asked for an import permit.....

This firearms part for instance.....

No I'm not kidding..... I should/might get the import permit for it this week, maybe.....

Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    No cost - single form to fill in and email to them. Once approved I got an email copy straight away and the original via the post.

Also got to notify in writing of your import. I enquired to clarify wether all parts imported required notification and this is the response I got

"You need to inform your Arms Officer or the Arms Act Service Delivery Group at armsofficerpnhq@police.govt.nz of all firearms and/or parts imported, the permit they were imported on, and the information indicated on the letter you received with your permit."

This information included copies of customs signed permit and shipping invoice. Looks like they are making extra work for themselves and doubling up on customs signing items off.

Not a big deal just scan and email the required documents.

Worst part of importing at the moment is the backlog at customs (currently about 4 weeks) and wether NZ Post will deliver once released from customs (they told me no, I have to pick up or sort out some other freight provider).
    Last edited by NZShoota; 11-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    Worst part of importing at the moment is the backlog at customs (currently about 4 weeks) and wether NZ Post will deliver once released from customs (they told me no, I have to pick up or sort out some other freight provider).
    Surely NZ Post should cart the goods to you assuming you have had to pay for the goods to be delivered to you

The bit I find interesting is NZ Post haven't contacted me re delivery of my goods, they know where I am, its on the delivery address, wouldn't be too hard to inform me what the story is...surely

If they won't cart them they should at least get someone else to get them to me at their cost.....

When I emailed the Customs AO at the International Mail centre about sending my permits up I got an automated email response saying NZ Post no longer deliver packages containing firearms/firearms parts (and all firearm parts now require and import permit) and to contact an 0800 number. Rang them and they confirmed they wouldn't deliver my packages as firearms/parts/airguns are all prohibited goods and can't be shipped by NZ Post, but I could pick up or arrange for a courier to pick up. Items in question were 5 round mags and a 2 round shotgun mag extension.

That was a month ago. Last Friday I finally got an actual reply to my email from the AO saying they had found one of my packages and to send up all the permits so they have them on file when they find the other packages (which all arrived in country on the same flight). So I guess we will see if they will deliver.

It's certainly a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. This was the reply I got from Customs when I inquired whether a permit was needed for a scope.....
    Name:  scope.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  45.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    It's certainly a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. This was the reply I got from Customs when I inquired whether a permit was needed for a scope.....
    Attachment 117608
    My question on whether I need a permit to import a scope:

The answer I got back: