Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingman

Thread: Peterson small primer brass

Gone but not forgotten

Peterson small primer brass

Does anyone have any comments on the benefits or otherwise of using small primer brass (in calibres such as 243, 260 and 308)?
    Or any comments on the quality of Peterson brass?
    I currently load 243 (Norma brass) and 308 (Lapua brass), and I am looking at getting a 260 so looking at other brass options, to reduce the chances of effing up and loading wrong ammo in wrong rifle!

TIA

Its great brass and a little thicker than Lapua with less case capacity. Its made up of different alloys to the softer Lapua brass so cant be fire formed in wildcats or Ackley chambers etc
    I dont have enough firings on the peterson brass I have to comment on its longevity compared to the Lapua brass but I am yet to read a bad report on it.

Im a Lapua snob through and through but they dont make .260 brass in the small primer option. They have .308 palma brass with the small primer but I didnt want to mess around with necking it down and turning neck donuts etc I also shoot a .308 Palma and didnt ever want to have a bad day and accidently mix up ammo with the same head stamp etc.
    Small rifle primers can give you slightly higher velocities without pressure signs that the large rifle primers would give at the same load and some claim tighter extreme spreads using SP brass. However, their biggest advantage is the life of the primer pocket compared to the LP brass. They stay tighter for longer especially if you load on the hotter side.
    johnd likes this.

I have done a similar thing to Wingman, Creedmoor brass is SP and .308 brass is Palma, 260 brass is necked down 308 though but with large primers.
    Sorry no Peterson though.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Been using the Peterson SP in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Only use it for target rounds and save the Lapua SP for the hunting loads. Primer pockets are tight after five reloads at moderate velocity. I think it's at least as good and probably slightly superior to Lapua and it also comes in a very nifty plastic box that can be used for loaded rounds.