Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Planning ahead, 300 win mag peoject

Planning ahead, 300 win mag peoject

Hi team, picked up a 300 win mag barrel for my A7, no immediate plans to swap over from the 7mm rem mag barrel but thought I'd put it to the brains trust to see what people are using.

Purpose of the rig will be 200 yards plus hunting, barrel is a 1 in 11 twist (off a Tikka t3) 24 inches long with a factory brake installed (may stay or go depending on how effective it is).

I was thinking of going down the AR2217 208 ELD-M route but wanted to know if there are any other projectiles I should be checking out?

my tikka winmag didn't like the 208 but loves the 200 and 220gr eldx, every rifles different, you just need a good mrad turret scope to get the most out of the calibre

Ah yes, the 200 and 220 aren't quite as slippery as the 208. I'm sure if I get some and they don't work out I'll be able to move them on. Couldn't agree more re the dialling scope, my vortex viper hst has done me well with the rem mag so will keep that in the mix.

What sort of speeds were you getting with the 200 and 220?

2960 with 200 eldx for me 21" barrel
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    2960 with 200 eldx for me 21" barrel
    What powder was that @PerazziSC3 ?

Look at the Noslar 190 or 210gr LRAB they are a good bullet, the 200 gr ELDX is good also. I shoot the 190gr and it’s shooting quite well in. My T3, some rifles don’t like them though.

When I helped Dad set his a7 300win mag up we found that the magazine length was a bit limiting for some pills. I know the 210gr Berger VLD wouldn't fit, I don't think 208gr A-max did either.

After using the 210gr Berger and single feeding it for a while he's now gone to a 200gr ELDX which works well and just fits in the magazine.

With this in mind I'd consider trying to find a .300wsm barrel and make a long action wsm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    What powder was that @PerazziSC3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.22-250 View Post
    When I helped Dad set his a7 300win mag up we found that the magazine length was a bit limiting for some pills. I know the 210gr Berger VLD wouldn't fit, I don't think 208gr A-max did either.

After using the 210gr Berger and single feeding it for a while he's now gone to a 200gr ELDX which works well and just fits in the magazine.

With this in mind I'd consider trying to find a .300wsm barrel and make a long action wsm.
    That's interesting about the 210 and 208s and good advice but I'm pretty keen to see what the win mag can do. Also I have modified my mag and feed ramp to accept rounds up to 3.440" that's an extra 0.100 over the standard magazine. That's what I've been loading my rem mag rounds to and it's been working well. Was that when you loaded them close to the lands?

I think that 200 grain ELD-X seems like a good option, should be able to get it over 3000fps by the sound of it so that should be an absolute hammer and will definitely stabilize in the 1 in 11 twist.

Another reason to stick with the win mag in my case is that a mate of mine has all the gear to help.get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Choice
    Borris likes this.

Sorry that was to 3.450"

The win mag is definitely an awesome cartridge and there are a few decent projectiles that work, especially if you've managed to gain some extra length.

With the 210 Berger the ogive was below the case neck at mag length and from memory there wasn't enough pill in the neck to hold properly. As the rifle has a big night force on it and was always a long range setup we just developed a load ignoring the magazine and single fed it.

208gr from memory just fit in the magazine but wouldn't get near the lands. We only had a small amount of these and didn't manage to find a load, not that we tried very hard. The Bergers shot good so we stuck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.22-250 View Post
    The win mag is definitely an awesome cartridge and there are a few decent projectiles that work, especially if you've managed to gain some extra length.

With the 210 Berger the ogive was below the case neck at mag length and from memory there wasn't enough pill in the neck to hold properly. As the rifle has a big night force on it and was always a long range setup we just developed a load ignoring the magazine and single fed it.

208gr from memory just fit in the magazine but wouldn't get near the lands. We only had a small amount of these and didn't manage to find a load, not that we tried very hard. The Bergers shot good so we stuck with them.
    I've wanted one for a long time but have a rem mag already so no point in having both at once

Yeah that's not ideal with the 210 berger, I think I'll probably go with the 200 grain ELD-X but I should be able to get some 208s to try out as well and maybe have them as a single feed round, or keep it simple and just use the 200 grainers, something that mag feeds really appeals to me.

The 208's are only just stable from a 1:11. They don't end up quite as slippery as the box claims and I have had them go awol after about 1200 when they go transonic.

With a win mag, the mag length be a bit restrictive. 300wsm with a modified mag and long bolt stop is perfect.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Those who recommend 200 Eldx are they performing well on deer for you?