Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Are polymer tip projectiles safe in general to use for 30-30?

Are polymer tip projectiles safe in general to use for 30-30?

Or is hornady leverevolution some kind of magical super soft tip and only that won't set off a primer?
    Last edited by TheWuce; 01-06-2020 at 03:24 PM.

No don't use polymer tip projectiles in your tube mag. Yes, leverlution (spelling?) have magical soft tips specifically for level action tube mags.
    outlander and mimms2 like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

nope on standard polymer, yes on leverlution unless you want a face full of shrapnel

Follow up question, are hollow points like this okay? https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...low-point-2124

From the photo I can't imagine how that tip would set off a round.

Nope. I'm no expert but I wouldn't do it.

They aren't designed for those projectiles.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 01-06-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Take a tip from the yanks, they've loaded a gazillion thutty-thutty rounds and you don't see anything but flat nose and Levervolution types . . . even the cast bullets for 30-30 are flat
    ebf and dannyb like this.

I just don't see the need for pointy higher bc projectiles in a 30 30 go for the heaviest round nose soft point you can get to shoot around 1" groups and it's good out to 200 yards.
    Mine 336 stainless shoots 150gn whitetails under an inch at 100 yards so I have no inclination to load for it when factory ammo produces those kinda results.
    What kind of 30 30 you got ?
    #DANNYCENT

336 as well. I'm reloading because the cheapest factory ammo option being $2 a round is some bullshit. Only asked this question because some of the polymer and hollow point .308 projectiles are a lot cheaper than the round and flat noses I've been using. None of my loads so far have been outside of 1" at 100m so at this point I'm just trying to tighten my ass about it even more so I can shoot more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    336 as well. I'm reloading because the cheapest factory ammo option being $2 a round is some bullshit. Only asked this question because some of the polymer and hollow point .308 projectiles are a lot cheaper than the round and flat noses I've been using. None of my loads so far have been outside of 1" at 100m so at this point I'm just trying to tighten my ass about it even more so I can shoot more.
    If you want cheap round nose soft points are about as cheap as you can get, much cheaper than fancy poly tipped stuff.
    I bought mine for a Bush stalking rifle so ammo cost isn't a factor really.
    But granted they are fun to shoot and I may look at loading a plinking round at some stage but knock down an bc won't be a massive concern for plinking
    #DANNYCENT

Gone but not forgotten
    For cheap plinking you would find it hard to beat reloading with shooternz's cast bullets and Trailboss

I've shot 125gr Sierra HP bullets out of my Winchester Mod 94. Product code 2020. Large flat nose with a hollow point.

Worked great for me.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Klhari View Post
    I've shot 125gr Sierra HP bullets out of my Winchester Mod 94. Product code 2020. Large flat nose with a hollow point.

Worked great for me.
    I use them a lot in my M94, good fallow bullets. They are FNHP though (flat nose hollow point) and the nose is definitely less spiky than the HP photo above

I had a look at factory ammo again for some comparison and Hornady White Tail just looks like standard spitzer soft point. The very tip looks flat but it still looks way pointier than a lot of the hollow points and other projectiles I've been told are unsafe. The rules around 30-30 are so confusing.

tube mage either round nose or Hornady Leverevolution (soft tips) otherwise boom
    dannyb likes this.

Is there any u-tube recordings etc of when somebody used pointy bullets in a tube mag centrefire?
    dannyb likes this.