Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jhon

Thread: Powder Applications Spreadsheet.

Powder Applications Spreadsheet.

Please see attached. This is a pdf of a SS I have spent some time developing for myself but may be of interest to others.

I seem only to be able to upload it as a pdf. If you want a live Excel version you will need to PM me an email address to send it to. The pdf has the SS on one page so small print but allows you to see what it is. Of course the live version will be normal font sizes.

It should be self explanatory and very simple to use but happy to answer questions on how to if you are not familiar with Excel

The information is based on published manufacturer's data only.

It is intended for me to easily find an alternative powder either to buy or from my shelf-stock. I hasten to add I do not own anywhere near all of these powders. Nor is the list I have populated complete. You can easily add your own if they are not there already.

Hope this is useful to some.

cheers

Jhon

Powder Applications Chart_ShareVersion.pdf
    jakewire, rupert and Mick Hunter like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

That would be handy, I'll PM you. Thanks

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Thanks for taking the time to do that , I'm sure it will be handy for a number of folk.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do that , I'm sure it will be handy for a number of folk.
    to be honest it was self interest, I got tired of repeatedly trying to answer my own question, what powder? If reloading is a hobby rather than a chore its darn near essential with a memory like mine lol

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    yeah I have a note book with individual pages set to various powder burn rates, when I Find something new and verify through a couple of sources I add to the appropriate page.
    I found it has come in handy, more so of late with the shortages, eg managed to get hold of some RL16, never used it before but research showed it may take the place of 2209 in my 30 06 with bullet 165 and above, same with some N550 a forum member kindly sold me.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There must be a typo, 270win seems to be missing.....Good on ya for sharing even it was created out of self interest.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    There must be a typo, 270win seems to be missing.....Good on ya for sharing even it was created out of self interest.
    Yes I deleted the cell contents showing which powders I own but of course it would defeat the purpose to remove the calibres so I left it ambivalent as to whether I own these or am just interested in them. It's not configured as a universal tool, imagine how big that would get. So you can add and delete calibres and powders to get what makes sense to you. The ones there do reflect where my interests are. 270 and 243 as well as 7mm08,.25-06 and 30-06 are all calibres I've contemplated. For the time I have available, not to mention $$, what's there already is a reasonable handful. And where do you stop? The world of firearms as sport is endless...

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    yeah I have a note book with individual pages set to various powder burn rates, when I Find something new and verify through a couple of sources I add to the appropriate page.
    I found it has come in handy, more so of late with the shortages, eg managed to get hold of some RL16, never used it before but research showed it may take the place of 2209 in my 30 06 with bullet 165 and above, same with some N550 a forum member kindly sold me.
    I've acquired powders over the years, often as part of a bulk purchase with something else I was after, and long before I had a specific use for them. Part of my reloading interest has been what can be done as opposed to narrowing done on what does best. In a time of shortages that is standing me in good stead. E.g. I've never had AR2209. Recently acquiring a rifle in 6.5x55 Swede that is a considerable gap. Yet I quickly find I have a couple of usable powders plus there is a new one I can load with still available. Yes, I can get all that by going to Manufacturer's Data Sheets or a Loading Manual, just not as quick or easy. Notebooks work too. I have a couple of A5 Ringbinder ones. The SS I started because my note books past a certain point became cumbersome for searching while still great for recording. Ultimately its a matter of doing what works best for the individual eh?

The other tooI I use a lot for clipping interesting info from online is Evernote. The value of that is when you find something online, you may not be able to get back to it down the track. And I can't afford to print hardcopy of everything I come across that catches my eye. Anyway, glad the SS is of some interest. And good to hear what others do also. J.