Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By duckdog
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg

Thread: Powder Clumps

Powder Clumps

I purchased this AR2225 powder this morning and found lots of big clumps of powder in the container. They are easily broken up. Not sure if it ok or not.

Name:  DSC00878-001.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  414.9 KB

.22 caliber projectile for scale

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    I purchased this AR2225 powder this morning and found lots of big clumps of powder in the container. They are easily broken up. Not sure if it ok or not.

Attachment 66431

.22 caliber projectile for scale
    Mate experienced the same with 2217 a couple of years ago and sent message to ADI. They replied that it was OK with a blah blah lah explanation IIRC about controlled levels of moisture during the process. About the same time I saw mention of clumping powder on an Oz forum.
    Can ask mate when I next see him if you want more specific details.

If you bought it new from a shop I would still hit them up for an explanation.

Hey Jeremy,
    I use a lot of AR2225 (7mm RM & 338 LM) and have never had a batch with clumps in it.
    Personally I would be returning it for a refund or replacement.
    SlowElliot likes this.

Thanks guys I have sent messages to ADI and the retailer. I will not hold my breath for the response though.

It clumps all the time especially in the 8lb Retumbo containers.

Nothing to worry about give the container a shake it will break up no drama at all.

I seem think that this may have been covered before. Yep here it is hope it helps http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-powder-30560/

@Dermastor Here is the reply my mate got for his 2217 "clumping"
    What is the date of manufacture on your can?
    Will be interesting what gobbledygook your retailer comes back with :-)

Australian Munitions
    Private Bag No 1, Mulwala,
    NSW 2647, Australia
    Fax: +61 (0)3 5744 1873
    E: reload.support@adi-powders.com.au
    ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide

Thales Australia Limited trading as Australian Munitions ABN 66 008 642 751
    ENQUIRY REPLY
    Date: 05/01/2016
    Reference No: 7733

Thank you for your enquiry on 3/1/2016 with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting powders.
    Clumping does occur occasionally in AR2217 and seems to be encouraged if the propellant container has been left shelved for long periods. The clumps fall apart quite easily and the propellant will return to its normal granular state either with a shake of the bottle or a gentle stir. The performance of the propellant is unaffected.
    However, due to their hydroscopic nature, powders can change in moisture reasonably quickly if exposed to the atmosphere.
    ADI powders control the burning rate of its various powders within tight limits at the time of manufacture by adjusting the moisture level to have the least potential to change in normal environmental conditions, while providing optimum performance and safety.
    Our plastic propellant containers are designed to be hermetically sealed whilst the lids are locked on to maintain the correct moisture level of the powder. Any change in moisture can affect the powder burning rate and the effectiveness or safety of a particular load.
    It is good reloading practice to always minimise the exposure of any smokeless powder to the atmosphere during loading. Use minimum quantities of powder at any time in powder loaders and keep lids on containers tightly closed at all times. In this way you are more likely to preserve the appropriate level of moisture for the lot of powder in use and obtain consistent reliable ballistic performances from every load.
    Safety of any loads using powder that has undergone further drying cannot be guaranteed and we recommend that you dispose of any powder that has been exposed to heating or prolonged exposure to the atmosphere.
    Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to our website at ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide or our 8th edition handloaders’ guide for more information, warnings and reloading safety.
    We thank you for using ADI Sporting Powders.
    Yours sincerely,
    ADI Technical Centre

OK thanks guys, first time for me after a long time using these powders.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I had the same thing with 2225, as others have said just give the container a good shake. Job done.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Banned
    It's going to get clumped up again if you use it in compressed loads in a 7mm Rem Mag or similar.