Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Powder Use By Date?

Powder Use By Date?

Hey Guys,

Some time ago I inherited a 4L Plastic Bottle of AR2208 and a 1L Tin Can of IMR4064.
    These have been stored in a Cool Dry place however, I am unsure of the age of it.

Does Powder go 'off'? What are the signs?

Thanks in advance!

Worst case, brown fumes. I had this happen. Run for cover.
    General sign of going off is a loss of the sweet smell and the onset of a pungent acrid smell.
    Sometimes colour can indicate as well with a change to more yellow, however some powders already have a yellowish tinge when new.
    If in a tin look inside for signs of corrosion on the walls.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks @zimmer, will have another look this evening.

Gone but not forgotten
    The AR2208 cant be too old because I have a metal tin of it from about 1995!
    IIRC there was something on the ADI website saying powder will still be okay after 10 years with good storage.
    As already said, a change from smelling sweet to a bitter or vinegar smell means it's breaking down.

Edit: Here is the link http://www.adi-powders.com.au/faq/
    Last edited by Cigar; 17-11-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    kiwi-adam likes this.

If in doubt, Ill pick it up on my way through and dispose of it 'safely'
    kiwi-adam likes this.
    Use enough gun

@40mm & @7mmwsm I have no issues with that option (for a small fee) and provided I can be present for said disposal
    Moa Hunter and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-adam View Post
    Hey Guys,

Some time ago I inherited a 4L Plastic Bottle of AR2208 and a 1L Tin Can of IMR4064.
    These have been stored in a Cool Dry place however, I am unsure of the age of it.

Does Powder go 'off'? What are the signs?

Thanks in advance!
    Greetings Kiwi-Adam,
    If the AR2208 is in a plastic container, factory marked AR2208 then it is less than 20 years old. If the metal can of IMR 4064 is marked Dupont it is quite old, at least 30 years Old. If marked IMR Powder Co the it is between 30 and 15 years old.
    However if either container has been opened and you don't know the history then there is no way to tell what powder it is and one blown up rifle is way more than it is worth. I am still using Dupont IMR 4064 that I bought well over 30 years ago and has been stored well. Recent tests showed velocities in line with results back then. On the other hand I was given a part tin of AR2208 that, on closer inspection was contaminated with ball powder. Zimmer's advice above covers the deterioration.
    Regards and take care Grandpamac.
    Cyclops, 40mm and kiwi-adam like this.

Still use H4831 that Reloaders Supplies sold in bulk in the 1980's, was "old reclaimed" powder when purchased. Still does the right thing and goes "bang"
    Micky Duck likes this.

There was a story I read recently about a guy that bought a huge lot of surplus 4895 around the Korean War in several big tins. He used it over the decades, shot in a lot of competitions and was finally about to finish up the last bit of it 70 years later.

Most powder will last decades if stored well in a dry and cool environment.
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

@grandpamac you know your powders well, if I recall I am pretty sure the tin can it is Dupont.
    Both containers have been opened, however, the Grandfather I inherited them off was very particular about storage and labeling, it has definitely not been mixed, or substituted by another unknown powder.
    However, in the interest of my own safety, I will pay extra attention when checking them over tonight.
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    If in doubt, Ill pick it up on my way through and dispose of it 'safely'
    Never ceases to amaze me how many good buggers willing to assist there are on this forum
    Beaker, northdude, 40mm and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    There was a story I read recently about a guy that bought a huge lot of surplus 4895 around the Korean War in several big tins. He used it over the decades, shot in a lot of competitions and was finally about to finish up the last bit of it 70 years later.

Most powder will last decades if stored well in a dry and cool environment.
    Greetings Wanneroo,
    In the post war years .30-06 war surplus cartridges were broken down and the powder and brass salvaged by NZ hunters. The powder was mostly 4895. I was given a tin of it in the early eighties by the son of one of those hunters. Being young, broke and stupid I used it in reduced loads in my .308 using some of the pulled M2 projectiles. All went well. Would I do it again now? Hell no.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I am occasionally using some AR2201 I bought from Din about 50 years ago and it still seems the same. I havent checked it in the last 5 months but dont think it has deteriorated.
    zimmer likes this.

Around 1967 (just after decimal currency) I bought a Sako Forester in 308.
    At that time the govt of the day protected the CAC company, which was still producing ammo locally including 308W, by prohibiing the import of overseas produced 308W. Relative to my wages the CAC was not cheap.

My branch of the NZDA did several annual goat culls on some of the big local stations. This was pretty ammo intensive. At that time there was an abundance of milsurp 30-06 around generally at around 2 cents a round. I bought hundreds of rounds mostly Twin Cities, Denver Arsenal and Frankford Arsenal IIRC.
    I stripped the ammo with an inertia puller made out of a short length of 1/2" water pipe with handle welded to it and a crude clamp to reat in the round. It took some pretty fearsome wacks onto concrete to strip the ammo. I cringe a bit when I recall this.

The cases I cut down and formed them into 308W. The projectiles I hollow pointed using a drilling jig, and of course the excellent 4895 I re-used to make great cheap goat ammo.
    Last edited by zimmer; 17-11-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    Bagheera, Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    I am occasionally using some AR2201 I bought from Din about 50 years ago and it still seems the same. I havent checked it in the last 5 months but dont think it has deteriorated.
    Snap! Bought a single tin of 2201 off Din around 1971. Went into his work shop under his house with him to get. It was like being a little kid in a huge toy shop.

Scratching my memory I think the 2201 was pretty temperature sensative?? @grandpamac ?