Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Primer issues

Primer issues

Hey team is it possible too seat primers too deep? I have not had issues ever before in all my reloading but had 2 back to back misfires the other day in a really shitty situation. Weird thing is I fired a round that morning to check zero and that evening after the incident which both went off without a hitch. Unfortunately I could not find either round to check so really just looking for anything that could have caused it. Checked all my other rounds when I got home and can hear powder in all and the primers are all new. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Some photos of your loaded rounds might help...the primed ends.
    Also could you explain your loading process and why you feel that you have come to the conclusion that it's the primer that's given you cause for concern.
    Also what was it in the firing process that's given you The willies!
    What's the rifle?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Mate of mine made a comment about primers being potentially seated too deep so thought I would ask. My process is deprime, reprime, fill with powder and then seat projectile. The shitty situation was that it was 2 deer 100m apart whilst stalking and I got neither due to the misfires. Rifle is a tikka t3 lite.

Himmm not sure? They should be seated flat to the surface of the brass.
    If you run your fingernail across the top then it should not dip not chatch the primer.
    Seated to high and when you place the cartridge primer down the whole thing would wobble.
    Basically they should be level with brass surface.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Yeah aware what they should be but some are sitting just below the level of the brass. Can feel it when I touch the bottom of the brass

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Mate of mine made a comment about primers being potentially seated too deep so thought I would ask. My process is deprime, reprime, fill with powder and then seat projectile. The shitty situation was that it was 2 deer 100m apart whilst stalking and I got neither due to the misfires. Rifle is a tikka t3 lite.
    Ahhhhh Tikka!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

They are the normal primers you use? I had problems wit Magnum primers, they tend to be harder? I always have the opposite probs with primer sitting proud?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yeah mate just the standard federal primers that I always use.

Most common cause in a T3 would be a rusted firing pin. Id check that first.
    Maca49 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

If the boxer primer is proud of the cartridge head surface, then the primer's inbuilt anvil will not be as well supported against the bottom of the primer pocket. I could see this leading to a misfire.

Seating a primer 'too deep' (as long as it does not go off in the seating process!) should not be a problem causing a failure to ignite, but it seems you're talking of proud primers and worrying about putting in the extra force required to seat them flush. Go for it. Some brass just has tighter primer pockets and requires more seating effort.

I'd also look at the firing pin and how much it protrudes from bolt face. Go for max allowed. Two subsequent misfires is bad news - though the deer may express a different opinion on that. A stronger firing pin spring may also be worth considering if all else fails, but like you say, it seems to be a primer seating problem.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I've had the odd dud primer from time to time but never two in a row. I always seat mine just below flush if i can. Some brass allows this and some brands don't. Think I remember reading in the Lyman reloading manual or Nick Harvey one that primers should be slightly compressed when seated to "prime" the primer. Something to with how the anvil is set up inside from what I remember. 001-003 rings a bell for some reason without finding where I read it

Yes look at a new primer, the anvil is proud of the cup.
    Fired they are flush. Cordites advice about pin length is valid there should be some travel left after the pin has gone forward.

OK maybe I need the pin looked at. If it is rusty anyone know how much it is to be replaced? Re the primers none are proud. Most are flush and a few are slightly deeper than the edge of the brass

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    OK maybe I need the pin looked at. If it is rusty anyone know how much it is to be replaced? Re the primers none are proud. Most are flush and a few are slightly deeper than the edge of the brass
    Pull the pin out and have a look. Its not difficult. Youl find some good how too guides on you tube. 9 times out of 10 all it needs is a good clean up and its good to go. You will know when you see it if thats the issue.
    Tommy likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Name:  IMG_20181124_165429.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  1.95 MBName:  IMG_20181124_165425.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  2.00 MB all seems OK. Gave the pin a wipedown but nothing really came of it. Checked the firing pin out the end of the bolt too whilst having a play and there seemed to be a reasonable amount coming out which is probably why I have never had an issue in the past. Maybe I had some real shitty luck and had 2 dud primers back to back haha