Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: Primers for 44 Mag

Primers for 44 Mag

Hi everyone

so I have my Bergara in 44 mag ready to go with a DPT. Very excited. I've got a box of factory ammo to get me started but I'm going to reload for it. Planning on using ADI 2205 with Hornady XTP 240 grn HP. Straight forward so far. But now, the primer. The ADI manual has Remington 2 1/2 which is large pistol. Not large pistol magnum. But Rem primers seem pretty hard to source and I can most conveniently source Winchester, Federal or CCI in large pistol, OR CCI large pistol magnum OR Federal large pistol magnum match.

Any thoughts on this? If I'm substituting a different primer right from the get go, should I stick with large pistol albeit in a different brand, or go to large pistol magnum?

cheers. Hope this doesn't sound too anal retentive.

Gone but not forgotten
    Nick Harvey's first edition book uses CCI-350 primers, which is the LP magnum according to the CCI website.

Beauty, thanks. I guess as long as I'm carefully working up my load I can probably get use either. I've read some stuff about some powders, like H 110 needing to use magnum primers for reliable ignition but that doesn't seem to be the case for 2205/4227

I use 2205 with CCI or federal ] magnum pistol primers,never had an issue,don’t notice a lot of difference when I only had large pistol primers on hand tho,I think it was only 21-23g from min to max so not a large spread.

Banned
    Large pistol, Federal or CCI. You don't need magnum primers.
    Make sure you give it a good crimp with 2205, it likes a little pressure to burn all the powder.

I use CCI Large Pistol no. 300 and they have worked pretty well. Gone through about 100 and no issues, though I am not using ar2205 so might not be 100% applicable

Cheers guys thanks much appreciated. Reckon I’ll be good with just LP. @Carlsen Highway thanks for the tip on crimping. Haven’t done that before so it’ll be interesting to see how that goes.

My 2 preferences with primers are cci and federal large pistol or large pistol mag primers will both go bang
    But just go for mag ones anyway can’t do anything but help with Ignition

I was going through an American forum this arvo and came across this penis shriveling discovery. A bloke was saying that Federal primers were, in his opinion, lethal when loaded via a Lee hand primer! They are prone to exploding ( not just going off) to the extent of reducing the device into shards. A reason for this wasn't given, but he did add that the actual 'power' of the primer was no greater than any other. Make what you want of this, but I promptly ordered 1000 CCI ones once again...

I have loaded 1000’s of fed primers in my lee auto prime
    If it’s to tighter than normal don’t force it
    Goes for all brands probably a very tight primer pocket with a milsurp crimp not removed properly
    And trying to force a primer in
    But coz he’s stupid he blames it on the primer and priming tool and coz its on the internet it must be true so everyone freaks out lol
    outlander likes this.

R93
    There are a few primers in here that were or replaced with Federal.

I have had a federal primer not seated properly in a 357 case. I tried to remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers and it went off a few inches from my face. I always wear some form of glasses when reloading. I shit myself but other than that, no harm done.
    Apart from the anvil flying out and hitting something I can't see them doing much damage. Never seen one explode.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 06-05-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    outlander likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.