Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Projectiles - favorites??

Projectiles - favorites??

So, my 6.5prc was shooting 143g eldx and rl26 powder, after the new barrell , this load doesn't work well.
    I'll now need to re develop a load,
    I have
    143g eldx 6.5mm
    150g berger eol 6.5mm

And happy to develop a load with these, but wondering if anyone has any other thoughts on a good projectile to try out.

My 6.5saum shoots the berger 150g great, so I don't mind using them to load develop the prc. My saum also shoots rl26. So sticking with that powder, or rl17 would be beneficial as I also use rl17 in my 7mmsaum.

Speer?
    Nosler?

Anything else I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    So, my 6.5prc was shooting 143g eldx and rl26 powder, after the new barrell , this load doesn't work well.
    I'll now need to re develop a load,
    I have
    143g eldx 6.5mm
    150g berger eol 6.5mm

And happy to develop a load with these, but wondering if anyone has any other thoughts on a good projectile to try out.

My 6.5saum shoots the berger 150g great, so I don't mind using them to load develop the prc. My saum also shoots rl26. So sticking with that powder, or rl17 would be beneficial as I also use rl17 in my 7mmsaum.

Speer?
    Nosler?

Anything else I should try?
    Nosler 142 LRAB

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    superdiver and Gkp like this.

depends ENTIRELY on what you want projectile to do.....slay dinasaurs/big deer/small deer ,goats....or punch tiny wee tight groups in paper at long range....or bush hunting where 95% of shots are sub hundy and terminal preformance is king....

Unless you have lots of the eldx I would develop a load in a projectile that I can get plenty of.
    6.5 eldx and eldm are pretty much sold out everywhere.
    See what you can actually get ahold of a decent amount of then go from there.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and caberslash like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah, well I'm still semi grouping with the old.load, so have a box of 100 eldx still, ill be using it for mainly long.range shooting as it is in a heavy as chassis rig... not too heavy, but heavy enough that I wouldn't want to carrying through the bush. 300-700m shots on sika, possibly when I get to hunt chamios and tahr one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    Yeah, well I'm still semi grouping with the old.load, so have a box of 100 eldx still, ill be using it for mainly long.range shooting as it is in a heavy as chassis rig... not too heavy, but heavy enough that I wouldn't want to carrying through the bush. 300-700m shots on sika, possibly when I get to hunt chamios and tahr one day...
    You may just have to tune seating depth to get it to shoot.

I tried that, from 10 though off, to.20 to 30, to 50... and it wasn't doing any better

Well you will have no trouble selling them on here......any bets how long it takes?

I see the box on trademe atm at 220.... lol

You would have to be pretty desperate.

It wouldn't be worth it to sell them, and I couldn't take double the money they are worth lol. I'd feel too guilty. I'm asking this post, as I was all about eldx until the last 2 rifles I brought have been developed using berger classics, and berger eol. Was looking at berger vld also.

Those are some nice calibers you are shooting a. could try some 130 tmks or something similar. they would be ok for sika. Some may disagree. You could try some bigger jumps. I see those 143 eldxs at those prices and i just shake my head. i used to shoot them i have given up on the hornadys. The bergers seem to be really good in some sizes it seems by reputation. i am only using the 215 in my 30 nosler.

Thanks Tim, I'm contemplating changing everything to bergers as they are going great... maybe some berger vld if they are going to be more readily available. And I wouldn't mind upping the weight in my 7mm saum also.
    Tim Dicko likes this.

Yeah i hear you it is very frustrating. We are a flea on the big dog of America. We are very much non existent as a market share. There are some retailers here that look after us and others that dont..... berger seem to be expensive because of there uniformity and that's why a lot of fclass guys use them. I think the price on the bergers is a bit of a positive as they put of buyers haha. The 7saum is an awesome caliber i will eventfully rebarrel one of my rifles to one. The 162 is good but maybe a 180 class if you can push it at the right speed. What brass are you using in the 7 saum?

Adg brass, rl17 powder. It groups great, but a bit of inconsistent speeds. Ranging from 2817 upto 2919 fps with the same charge....