Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Promising Start

Promising Start

My son in Canada posted me half a dozen of each 190 gr Noslar LRAB and some 175 gr LRAB for my 7 mm Rem to try out. He posted them at least three months back and I thought they weren't coming but surprise surprise they turned up yesterday.
    I had some 95 gr Noslar Ballistic tips to try in the 243 so I loaded up three for each (300 win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag) just to see what speed I could get and accuracy.
    Name:  P1030274.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  2.41 MB

The LRAB from what I have read can be hard to get to shoot well so I wasn't to hopeful in the accuracy department.

In the 243 I loaded the 95gr Noslar BT with 40 grs of AR 2209 and I averaged 2896 fps and shot a 17 mm group at 100 yards
    I also loaded the same bullet with 43.5 grs of Superformance and averaged 2908 fps with a group of 26 mm at 100yards

In the 7mm Rem Mag I loaded the 175 gr LRAB with 65 grs of RL 26 and averaged 2866 fps and shot a 22mm group at 100yards

In the 300 Win Mag I loaded the 190 gr LRAB with 77.5 grs of AR 2217 and averaged 2805 fps and shot a 32 mm group at 100 yards.

The 300 load is slow so with the other three bullets I have I will load them with 74 grs of RL 26 and see how they go, in the 7mm Rem I will try another .5 grs as the max for that is 65.9 grs of RL 26 and hope it will get me over 2900 fps.Name:  P1030276.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  2.51 MBName:  P1030277.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  2.65 MBName:  P1030278.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  2.81 MB

Overall I am pretty happy with the results of the limited tests I have done and the LRAB's are showing promise especially in the 7mm Mag.
    I will load the last three of those and hopefully get a shot at a deer before we are shut down again with this Covid thing.
    erniec likes this.

Why are they seated so far down? Doesn't that defy the point of the premium projectiles.

Seated far out. More powder and higher velocity

The 300 Win Mag is seated for mag fit which is just about to deep for this bullet. with the other 3 projectiles i have i will seat them out a little further. The COAL for that round was 85 mm.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Try 2217 in the rem mag.

I've got the 175 ELDX averaging 2950 with 69.5 grains of 2217. Can't remember coal off the top of my head but it's around 3.5" I think.

71 grs of 2217 got around 3000 fps with the 162 gr ELDX in my rifle. I only got 6 projectiles of each caliber so limited to what I can do. The three shots above show promise so I have loaded the last three at 65.8 grains of RL 26 so should be over 2900 fps and hopefully the groups stay the same or shrink a bit. Hope to get a shot at a deer tomorrow with one.
    I may look at buying a box of 175's for the Rem Mag as I think with a bit of playing around it will shoot well and should be a good bullet up close and at distance.

Well it all went pretty good yesterday. I took my 7mm Mag and the last three 175 gr Noslar LRAB's which i loaded at 65.8 grs RL 26 so hoped the velocity would be a bit over 2900 fps.
    Daybreak seen Beeman and I doing a "driveby" around a big clear cut area that has had a rather large amount of deer sign about.
    We headed for the back edge of the block where there is a creek and a stand of big pine on the other side which we thought the deer were coming from. After checking there and not seeing much sign on the frosty road we shot back around to go and check another road, while we drove through I glanced up onto a open ridge top and spotted a deer standing in the first bit of sun. Beeman backed up a little and by the time I took the shot , one deer had turned into three. My shot was good at about 200 yards and the yearling went straight down. The other two gapped it back to the bush edge which was about half a km away.
    We took off back to the back edge of the block by the creek to possibly cut them off , Beeman dropped me off on one gully where I could see the ridge I shot the deer on in the distance and Beeman headed to the end of the road and checked and series of gullies the deer could have come down.
    I decided to walk back to the dead deer and drag it back to the road. In the mean time Beeman came back around and gave me a hand. Once we had it loaded up we shot back around as Beeman had seen a bit of sign of an animal heading back to the cover.
    When we got there we were surprised to find fresh spots of blood crossing the road and headed down a trail across the creek into the big pines.
    It appears my bullet had passed through the one we got and hit one of the others. I followed a reasonable blood trail to the creek that was quite fast moving , then on the other side cut the track of a deer moving up a spur and eventually going into a block of younger pine. After crossing the creek I found no blood whatsoever and never found the deer which was a real bugger.
    Bullet performance was pretty good as you can see from the picture , maybe a bit destructive but it certainly didn't go anywhere.

Name:  IMG_7456.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  5.87 MBName:  P1030279.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  3.80 MB
    top of the south likes this.

if thats a "bit destructive" I would hate to see "really destructive"...LOL
    its certainly doing whats its intended to do...you cant make an omelet without breaking eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if thats a "bit destructive" I would hate to see "really destructive"...LOL
    its certainly doing whats its intended to do...you cant make an omelet without breaking eggs.
    Yeh they are designed to open up at 1300fps so on the closer stuff this will probably be the norm, they should be pretty good out past 400 yards or so. Need to try them on bigger animals so it looks as if I will have to buy a box to load up more. The picture is of the bullet entry side, the exit was just as bad.
    Micky Duck likes this.

ideal for neck shot......LOL

Entry side? That's pretty big maybe you other deers blood trail was just bit's of his mate falling off him there must have been a fair spray out the other side.
    Mooseman likes this.