Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Quick 6mm's - 6XC, 6x47 and 6mmCM

Quick 6mm's - 6XC, 6x47 and 6mmCM

I have a Model 7 that needs a rebarrel. This has been my main hunting rifle for a few years in 260imp (30degree). I never really got the best out of the case, as it was the thin factory barrel and only a 1:9 twist. I'll look at a full length SA for doing this again. But reckon the Model 7 action would suit one of these shorter 6mm's with a 1:8 or even 1:7.5 in a heavier contour. 243 is a little long to get the best from the reduced length action. I may put the action in a mill yet and open entry from the magwell too.

So the question for you lot is; who is already shooting one of these 6's, what projectile, barrel length and velocity?

I'm thinking down the lines of a 1:8 with a 105 or 108gn from a heavy 24 or most liekly 26 inch with a break. This will be for shooting PRS style match and likely to see the end of some smaller game too.
    Matt2308 likes this.

I’m all about the 6XC. Out of a 22inch barrel I got 2930 with the 105 Berger. Stupid accurate and so easy to shoot comfortably/well.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I’m all about the 6XC. Out of a 22inch barrel I got 2930 with the 105 Berger. Stupid accurate and so easy to shoot comfortably/well.
    6XC is certainly the way I'm leaning and have been for some time. However, I don't really think there is much between them all.

What is your total overall length?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was running 95gr Berger in mine. OAL of 68.2 loaded at 40thou jump, 3100 fps

I found it easy to load and inherently accurate. Sold it to fund the 22BR!
    Uplandstalker likes this.

I have just been contemplating a similar build but considered all of those cartridges as well as 6x46 swiss match.. I actually decided on the more efficient 6mm Dasher running 95gr bullets in a 22" 1-9" should get 2950 to 3000fps. Have just ordered the reamers and dies etc.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    I have a Model 7 that needs a rebarrel. This has been my main hunting rifle for a few years in 260imp (30degree). I never really got the best out of the case, as it was the thin factory barrel and only a 1:9 twist. I'll look at a full length SA for doing this again. But reckon the Model 7 action would suit one of these shorter 6mm's with a 1:8 or even 1:7.5 in a heavier contour. 243 is a little long to get the best from the reduced length action. I may put the action in a mill yet and open entry from the magwell too.

So the question for you lot is; who is already shooting one of these 6's, what projectile, barrel length and velocity?

I'm thinking down the lines of a 1:8 with a 105 or 108gn from a heavy 24 or most liekly 26 inch with a break. This will be for shooting PRS style match and likely to see the end of some smaller game too.
    I’m shooting a 6.5CM (24” Howa, 1:8 twist in a GRS stock). I will soon start reloading but with off-the-shelf Hornady 140gr ELD Match, this is what I got at 100m this morning - average velocity 2662fps:

If your main purpose is hunting, then the 143gr ELD-X Precision Hunters or 129gr Interlocks might be a better option to explore if you go down this path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    I’m shooting a 6.5CM (24” Howa, 1:8 twist in a GRS stock). I will soon start reloading but with off-the-shelf Hornady 140gr ELD Match, this is what I got at 100m this morning - average velocity 2662fps:

If your main purpose is hunting, then the 143gr ELD-X Precision Hunters or 129gr Interlocks might be a better option to explore if you go down this path.

I've been shooting the 140gn VLDs and 143gn ELD-X at 2770fps in the light 19" barrel for the past few years with good success. If I was going to do the 6.5mm again, it would most likely be in 260imp again, just a heavier, longer, tighter barrel and a medium length action/mag.

Specifically looking at 6mm for this rifle. U have other plans for a dedicated hunting rifle, a 7mm.

Your groups nice, reloading should tighten that up a but and bump your velocity up another 100fps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    janleroux likes this.

Me mate has a 6xc with a truck axel barrel and it is awesome , nearly keeps up with the 6.5. such an awesome little case .
    Uplandstalker and janleroux like this.

Banned

Have you tried the new S&B 140gn yet? I have a few on order, but they will not be here for a week.

Iv had a 243ai for some years now. OAL with the 105 berger is 2.810. Pushing 3180fps from a 23" barrel. Its a remarkably good hunting round but like others if it was a competition gun Id go 6xc for the extra barrel life and lower recoil.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
    Have you tried the new S&B 140gn yet? I have a few on order, but they will not be here for a week.
    Nope, only different types of Hornady so far. Please let know how you find the S&B 140’s once you get them.

What you see, is what you get!

Banned
    Nope, only different types of Hornady so far. Please let know how you find the S&B 140’s once you get them.

Well, I exaggerated some... I have 900 coming in a week...

So here is hoping it is not an epic mistake.
    janleroux likes this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I’m running a 6mm Creedmoor for my comp rifle. 25" 1 in 7.5 twist Bartlein. Using the 110gr Sierra Matchkings in it @ 3,080fps, OAL to the lands is 2.780". Very accurate with basically no recoil (weighs 7.8kg and has a brake) which makes for easy spotting of shots and fast follow up. I’ve had a 243AI, 6XC and 6x47L, the Creedmoor is my favourite so far but that probably has a bit to do with the rest of the setup too.
    muzr257 and Uplandstalker like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I just dropped my Sako A2 off yesterday to get a new 1-8" bartlein 2b chambered in 6mm cm fitted will be 22". Really looking forward to having a play. It's intended use will be a hunting/steel shooter. Got a 100 105gr Targex to have a play with as I was really impressed with the 95gr I used in the .243.
    muzr257, Uplandstalker and Mathias like this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Wouldn't want to sell any 260ai dies would ya?