Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: QuickLOAD just arrived!

QuickLOAD just arrived!

My CD of QL is here. Installing tomorrow. Looks like I'll be loading more headaches than rounds while I learn. Any advice for a QL newby?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 504
Size:  302.3 KB
    Hunty1 likes this.

ebf
    have a yarn to puffin on here

be afraid, be VERY afraid
    Cyclops likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

It's actually pretty easy man. Get stuck in, it's a handy program
    YosemiteSam and Stocky like this.

Remember its a guide, one of several tools you should consider in developing loads.

COAL and the water capacity of the cases from your rifle are essential inputs IMO

All the advice above is sound. Also you will figure the basics out very quickly. Then you can try make it more accurate by measuring cases and case capacity. Realistically it's a guide and normal loading processes apply. Also if it seems too good to be true sometimes it is as I know a few powders don't model well.
    YosemiteSam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    All the advice above is sound. Also you will figure the basics out very quickly. Then you can try make it more accurate by measuring cases and case capacity. Realistically it's a guide and normal loading processes apply. Also if it seems too good to be true sometimes it is as I know a few powders don't model well.
    It helps if you just have a handy tentman.
    KH
    YosemiteSam and Stocky like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Now if you really want to get a headache then read Shockwave Theory -Rifle internal ballistics .
    It talks about the use of accuracy nodes in Quickload to get a much better prediction of an accurate load.

Used it this weekend to calculate a new load for my 30-06. 1/2 MOA straight off the bat. No more ladders.

Quote Originally Posted by Robojaz View Post
    Now if you really want to get a headache then read Shockwave Theory -Rifle internal ballistics .
    It talks about the use of accuracy nodes in Quickload to get a much better prediction of an accurate load.

Used it this weekend to calculate a new load for my 30-06. 1/2 MOA straight off the bat. No more ladders.
    Funny, I got a tip about this from a mate in the UK just last week and also have been reading the exact same stuff. Haven't had the chance to do any load development yet but this comment above is very encouraging.

This is well worth a look, this guy runs Quickload courses in South Africa, my b-i-l over there put me onto this bloke, specifically this document that provides values for the mysterious weighting factor.

http://www.mamba-reloading.co.za/QL ...ing Factor.xls
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Robojaz View Post

Ah yes, I know all about this I generally use this as a starting point in my load development. Its been a little hit or miss for me, and I always seem to need to alter the start pressure and/or burn rate in order to get the predicted velocity/barrel time to match up with real world velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Funny, I got a tip about this from a mate in the UK just last week and also have been reading the exact same stuff. Haven't had the chance to do any load development yet but this comment above is very encouraging.

This is well worth a look, this guy runs Quickload courses in South Africa, my b-i-l over there put me onto this bloke, specifically this document that provides values for the mysterious weighting factor.

Further reading on the weighting factor especially the bit from jfseaman on this page
    https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...ormula.136923/
    Flyblown likes this.

I've just ordered quickload this morning, been going round to a buddies place, and using his, but it inconvenient at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Ah yes, I know all about this I generally use this as a starting point in my load development. Its been a little hit or miss for me, and I always seem to need to alter the start pressure and/or burn rate in order to get the predicted velocity/barrel time to match up with real world velocity.
    And the problem I have is what is real world velocity?

The values my two chronographs return at 15ft are never remotely close to what the validated trajectory function in Strelok says it should be. This from the measured drops data.

In terms of accuracy down range, the Strelok number is always bang on, when it comes to hitting paper, gongs and small goats at 600m. If I used the chrono numbers and dialled according to that data, I'd miss every time.

I find with Quickoad that I really have to concentrate on every assumption, and when I get them all right (or very close to) I generally get a velocity output that matches Strelok.

I think some of the ADI powder data is a little off, I contacted Helmut and he admitted he hasn't tested them, he's tested the Hodgdon branded stuff. There are always differences batch to batch and I suspect some of the ADI burn rates etc are a little off. Not by a lot though.

When it comes to validating velocity, I'd suggest you go (a) Quickload, (b) chrono, (c) drops data, (d) Quickload adjustments, if required. Works for me.
    johnd, YosemiteSam and ChrisW like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post

"my b-i-l over there " I was sure you'd written Bi-lover for a moment....
    Tikka7mm08, GWH and Flyblown like this.

Ok guys, thanks for the brotherly advice. I can see I've got a lot to study up on, which is kinda why I do this hobby so all good. And thanks for the tips on weighting factors and dodgy ADI numbers.

https://pierrevanderwalt.com/obt-calculator/

This will help.

It's a major league brain ache, the Optimum Barrel Time theory, but worth working through even its its just the summary.

Pick a node value on the ladder from this calculator, then play with Quickload until the Barrel Time, 10% pMax to Muzzle value matches your node.

Load according to those specs, shoot, and woo hoo the theory says its all done and dusted.

Worked for my mate and he's a techy nerd. Worked for @Robojaz.

I'm gonna load some up this evening and go for a test as soon as this weather blows through.
    Just...say...the...word