Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The race for speed

The race for speed

I've sort of growen out of this now but the photo still impresses me........

22-243 case full to the brim of reloader 15 and a 30 grain berger

This proved to be utter useless on rabbits but it did tear the rifling out of the barrel

Name:  Image004.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  88.1 KB
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    That impressive

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Shit thats fast.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I like it!
    22-243 is somthing I like for that reason and would build one if it not for the fact I'd need to buy a barrel making business to run it

I got over 1500 rounds through an old 22-243 before it started to open up, barrels are cheap. I'm onto my 5th rifle with this chambering.......

At that speed I bet you didnt!!

no, that rifle was on its way for a new barrel a few days later...... The first one I got was pushing 55g ballistic tips at 3900fps, I got it second hand with about 800 rounds through it, it was a grunig barrel.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Have you tried any heavier pills in your 22-243? I'm using 80 targex's @ just under 3500fps in mine but haven't tried anything lighter yet.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

I've have vairous twist rates over the years, 1:12, 1:14, 1:8, 1:7 and back to 1:14 now. I only use it to shoot rabbits to 400 meters max and have only used 55g Ballistic tips. Except for the 1:7 twist that now kiwi greg owns which I build to shoot 90g bergers at about 3200fps I've had no need to change.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I've have vairous twist rates over the years, 1:12, 1:14, 1:8, 1:7 and back to 1:14 now. I only use it to shoot rabbits to 400 meters max and have only used 55g Ballistic tips. Except for the 1:7 twist that now kiwi greg owns which I build to shoot 90g bergers at about 3200fps I've had no need to change.
    I got a few FPS faster with my slow twist 22-243, 30 bergers & 2207 but was blowing primers, got them cruising at 5000 but never shot any thing with them.
    I have the 1-7 mentioned above, it is bloody awsome, 90s at 3100, I can get 3400 but they don't get to where they are supposed to far too other
    It is very consistant & will normally hit the steel 1st shot out to 1100.
    The best I have done with it is bunnies at 900 yards, got one the other week 1st shot at 646
    I'm tempted to get another Kimber 22-250 & get Robbie to rechamber it for the liitle pills real fast, I might grow up one day.........Nah probably a Tui add

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I've sort of growen out of this now but the photo still impresses me........

22-243 case full to the brim of reloader 15 and a 30 grain berger

This proved to be utter useless on rabbits but it did tear the rifling out of the barrel

Attachment 72

Wow thats what I call light speed hahah

Space travel isn't that far away :
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I got a few FPS faster with my slow twist 22-243, 30 bergers & 2207 but was blowing primers, got them cruising at 5000 but never shot any thing with them.
    I have the 1-7 mentioned above, it is bloody awsome, 90s at 3100, I can get 3400 but they don't get to where they are supposed to
    It is very consistant & will normally hit the steel 1st shot out to 1100.
    The best I have done with it is bunnies at 900 yards, got one the other week 1st shot at 646
    I'm tempted to get another Kimber 22-250 & get Robbie to rechamber it for the liitle pills real fast, I might grow up one day.........Nah probably a Tui add
    Nek Minit....... I have a donor rifle 22-250 26" barrel

I brought a HUGE bag of once fire 22-250 brass before I fly out.... I got dies too somewhere - now just need a gun lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I brought a HUGE bag of once fire 22-250 brass before I fly out.... I got dies too somewhere - now just need a gun lol
    Nah too slow, get it reamed to 22-243.

The problem with 22-250 as a donor rifle is they are 1-14 so only little pills will work well.

It will be back from Robbies tomorrow, in time for some testing in the weekend if I'm not busy......probably will be.....bugger...will have to make time