Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Reasons to be wary of Others reloads

Reasons to be wary of Others reloads

I bought an older second hand Remington Model Seven .260. It came with two types of reloads 'Good' & 'Goat Shooting' and once fired cases.

These reloads that the previous owner said were 'Goat Shooting' loads were clearly rough as. I could easily see that the seating depths were up to shit by the varying amounts of cannelure ring visible above the case mouth and they measured 0.020" different on the ogive. They measured uniform on the shoulder bump. I figured good enough to foul the barrel or shoot things close. Until i noticed some of the fired cases had split necks.

I measured the case length of them, 2.035" to 2.055". Max .260 case length is 2.035" No wonder some necks were split and the primers 1/8th backed out.

So i thought no worries really. I'll just pull the bullets and primers then anneal, resize and trim them all.

Name:  damaged collet.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  119.2 KB

First failure of the Inertia Hammer - split the collet lips off. 15-25 hard hits to pull a bullet!
    No worries ill use a shell holder instead in the hammer

Name:  broken hammer.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  194.6 KB

Total failure
    Bloody round hit the underside of the roof before coming back down on the concrete...busted and dinged up the bullet and case.

Name:  Grazed fingers.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  237.7 KB

Blood is drawn and i'm really pissed off now! Clipped fingers on the wooden 'shield' i had between me and the hammer cause i was afraid of discharge!

I cant throw them in the bin as they're live. Cant pull the bullets as they are stuck Fcuken tight!
    Hadn't been trimmed to length! So cant even just shoot them off as they're dangerous!
    Massive neck tension as they don't look crimped at all. The guy had chamfered and deburred the case mouth.

Also the powder charges in the seven i managed to pull before failure were 42.2gr-42.9gr. Listed as 40gr

Still got 14 to pull somehow!

and thats not counting the 'Good' 65 rounds...

Btw the supposed 'Good' reloads all had the primers not seated enough and i had to reseat the whole lot. They were 'bobbling' around when set on a flat surface! I could feel and see they weren't seated enough!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    I wouldn't be shooting a single one!

Crazy. If you could send em to me I could put them in a collet puller. Surely that would work....
    Use enough gun

Wait till guy fawkes and chuck them in the bonfire
    300CALMAN likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Pull the bullets in your press use bike tube between your vice grips to protect the projectile.
    Russian 22. and dannyb like this.

Caretaker
    Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar materials often causes the projectiles to “ stick” in the brass over time

The trick to getting them apart is put them in a seating die and seat them 5 thou deeper

They often “ crack” quite loudly before they move

Then try the inertia hammer or cam lock puller and they will come apart easily as you have broken the corrosive “ weld “

To avoid the corrosion in the first place and to help lower ES use graphite powder in the necks and on the projectile when assembling.

Problem solved
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Try seating the bullets deeper into the cases - to break the weld between the bullet and the case. Then pull them with a bullet puller.

Or 2: use your press and a side cutter as discribed above by Nor-west

Have you checked the projectiles are the correct diameter for the rifle?
    Sounds like this maestro has stuffed up every other possibility so far....
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar materials often causes the projectiles to “ stick” in the brass over time

The trick to getting them apart is put them in a seating die and seat them 5 thou deeper

Then try the inertia hammer or cam lock puller and they will come apart easily as you have broken the corrosive “ weld “

To avoid the corrosion in the first place and to help lower ES use graphite powder in the necks and on the projectile when assembling.

Problem solved
    I'll try this when i get another bullet puller.

Hopefully a local has a collet puller.
    40mm likes this.

Me neither. But go buy or borrow a hornady bullet collet puller with collet to match yr calibre. These work very well an hardly mark the bullet. Otherwise if yr in a real hurry set the cartridge in the press and raise the ram till the bullet is proud of the top of the press . Then grab the bullet between the cutters of pair of pliers andower the ram slowly. Put a little more pressure on the lever once you have the pliers with bullet gripped, hard agInst the top of yr press frame. The method will work and with a little care you may find the bullets are salvagable. The prass powder and primers can be easily separated once the bullet is out; then start over. Good luck.
    grandpamac likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Happy to post you my .264 collet puller if you’d like to use it. PM me your address then send it back when you’re done. I’m away for 10 days hunting now but I’ll post it when I get home.
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.

As mentioned above - push them in further first to dislodge them.

I replaced 750 FMJ projectiles with SP ones on a 7.62x39 back when I bought a whole case for $200....Sold the FMJ for about what I paid for the SP as well. But the trick to getting them out is definitely to give them a push in first to dislodge the grip on them.

This works when pulling fence posts as well Especially warratahs..Give them a tap or two into the ground which breaks the soils grip on the post and they lift out without trying to bring up half the paddock still attached....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Hell I don't even trust some of my own reloads let alone anyone elses
    I have just finished pulling a bunch of old reloads as they hadn't been sized properly and 70% of them wouldn't chamber (would have really ruined that shot of a lifetime).
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post

Problem solved
    The most extreme case of this I believe was the US armies "tin can" 3006 of the late 20s. Tin was known to prevent and more importantly remove copper fouling, it is still used in artillery rounds in the charge bags. I also believe the same idea was reinvented and used in the cfe reloading powders, but I digress.
    In an attempt to reduce copper fouling it was decided to tin plate the projectiles this evidently worked well initally. However on storage extreme pressure variations were found resulting in damaged rifles and individuals. It was traced back to cold soldering of the projectile to the neck, all the ammunition was withdrawn and the idea shelved.
    Just an interesting historical aside to this thread.

I use the clamp section of a pipe flaring tool to grip the projectile through the loading press die hole and have disassembled many loaded rounds with ease.