Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Martin358
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By johnd

Thread: Recommended hunting projectiles for .357 mag

Recommended hunting projectiles for .357 mag

Gents (I use the term loosely )

Can anyone offer, from experience, advice on the best hunting projectiles for a .375 magnum, to be shot from my new to me Rossi 92?
    Looking to use it on goats for a bit of nostalgia.

My very first centre fire was a Marlin lever in .44 mag. Shot my first pig, first deer, first stoat and first wild cat with that gun ……… ahhh the memories …..

I recently picked up a stainless Rossi 92 off trademe, and just ordered some once fired brass for reloads as the factory stuff is s**t expensive! Need to decide on a suitable pill.

I have a japanese baby martini with a marlin barrel and reload 158 grain flatnose and use it to shoot cattle when i do home kill. Works well but i only shoot up to 20 yards or so
    csmiffy likes this.

There's a fella on here who sells cast lead bullets. Could see if he has anything suitable @shooternz

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Yup 158gr flat nose jobbies. More speaking about the factory ones but that is the minimum bullet weight. If it was really close there are 185gr ones out there.
    I didn't reckon factory ammo that bad.
    if you want possum bombs the Winchester 125gr hollow points are wicked lol

ok Ive asked about this before elsewhere and used calibre a bit years back..... first up there is two types of factory ammo....rifle and handgun...the rifle is way faster/better
    the issue with cartridge factory loads is most are either for paper/plinking or to stop two legged threat at close range without over penertration.... from memory you need to look at the 170ish grn weight and pick your loads with above in mind...that said goats arent hard to kill and body size/weight/resistance isnt a mile away from the ........bad guys.....so home defence type ammo should be fine....
    csmiffy likes this.

124 /125 grain jacketed hollow points, roll them down the barrel fast
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

In one of the very few times when I shot pistols back in the day, we put the same 125gr Winchester factories down my pistol and the short barrelled rossi straight after one another. half inch plate from memory. Way bigger dent from the rifle.
    I have some Hornady leverevolutions with the polymer tip to try. Still to sight the OEG aimpoint in with them

Knocked over some goats this weekend with 357 cal Hornady 158 gr XTP hollow points at just over 1400 fps at ranges from 5 - 40 meters. All exited. Good 1" free bleeding holes but without the off side damage that my 243 or full power 358 win loads would create.
    Zq

A nice cast lead flat point of 160 or so grains and trail boss or blue dot should work very well.

Crikey, unless it was already in a trap, how on earth did you manage to shoot a stoat?

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Knocked over some goats this weekend with 357 cal Hornady 158 gr XTP hollow points at just over 1400 fps at ranges from 5 - 40 meters. All exited. Good 1" free bleeding holes but without the off side damage that my 243 or full power 358 win loads would create.
    Zq
    This reminds me of a time I was asked to deal to a mob of Angoras that had gone rogue. The farmer had been trying to deal to them with a shotgun.
    I thought "great chance to bring out the 'ol 44 " My boys were almost teenagers by then and I used them to round up the mob and send them into a gully where I could ambush the goats. Just at the right moment i stepped from my hiding place to shower carnage and lead. Sadly all I could do was deafen the buggers as the barrel had gotten pretty worn. I remember trying to work out where it was hitting. Lined up a front on chest shot and promptly hit the Billy in the knee!! at about 15 M.
    Play was abandoned and I had to return with the E cat proper goat gun.

I had been intending to harvest some meat but when I started preparing on the first one, the shot riddled skin had got sores from the shotgun toting farmer.