Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Reloading .223/5.56 for an AR15

Reloading .223/5.56 for an AR15

Does anyone have any tips or helpful info on reloading for an AR?
    Have reloaded for many other rifle calibres, .204, 22 Hornet, 7/08, 30-06, 308 etc...but have no experience loading for an auto?
    I have some small base dies on my watchlist as this would be the first step...
    I was using the Hornady 75g Match ammo but only have a few boxes of this left. This was a great round in my Colt, it was accurate and had enough horsepower to put down reds at sensible distances and found it deadly on pigs so ideally would like to load something similar to this so have been looking over the Sierra 69 & 77g projectiles which look like they might suit?
    I have easy access to all ADI powders along with the other usual suspects but what have people had good success with?
    Any opinions or info much appreciated!

2208, OAL inside of magazine length and get a progressive press so you can load less and shoot more.
    dirtyhabit likes this.

I have a stack of 2208 on hand so that works.
    Are there any tricks with primers.in terms of harder cup etc? Im using WLR and Fed match small rifle atm...
    What is a good brass to be using?
    Cheers!

27gns 2208 with 55gn proj. and a chamber gauge is really handy as are small base dies.

JP Chamber Case Gauge, .223
    If it goes in the gauge OK it wont jam in the gun
    Simo likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    I have a stack of 2208 on hand so that works.
    Are there any tricks with primers.in terms of harder cup etc? Im using WLR and Fed match small rifle atm...
    What is a good brass to be using?
    Cheers!
    I thought the primer problems were with tube fed magazines like the 30-30. I use cci so I wouldn't know about soft cup problems.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Just finished working up an AR load using Barnes 62gr TSX with 2206H. Also have a very accurate load with 2208 and 69gr TMKs. Not sure how the TMKs would go on animals though.

Im loading 25 grains of 2206h with sierra 65gr gamekings and 69gr match
    Kscott and dirtyhabit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    Does anyone have any tips or helpful info on reloading for an AR?
    Have reloaded for many other rifle calibres, .204, 22 Hornet, 7/08, 30-06, 308 etc...but have no experience loading for an auto?
    I have some small base dies on my watchlist as this would be the first step...
    I was using the Hornady 75g Match ammo but only have a few boxes of this left. This was a great round in my Colt, it was accurate and had enough horsepower to put down reds at sensible distances and found it deadly on pigs so ideally would like to load something similar to this so have been looking over the Sierra 69 & 77g projectiles which look like they might suit?
    I have easy access to all ADI powders along with the other usual suspects but what have people had good success with?
    Any opinions or info much appreciated!
    One of my ARs likes the 75gn HPBT steel cased ammo.
    You can get the projectiles and handload them too, otherwise the 65gn Gamekings are good, the Hornady 68gn HPBT and the new Tipped 69gn and 77gn Matchkings, leave the old style HPBT Matchkings for paper or bunnies.

Key things with semis is more headspace by bumping the shoulder back more than what you would have for a bolt action.
    Check the primers are seated properly, ie not sticking out.
    Hard primers are not a requirement, I used soft Fed Match primers for some of my loads, in fact hard primers with a real light after market trigger will give you ignition issues.
    I find the AR feed ramps on the barrel/bolt lugs scratch the case necks and lead to split necks faster than on a bolt.

2208 is a bit bulky for 75-77gn projectiles, you can fit much in the case if loading to fit an AR magazine, so prefer 2206H.

I've never bothered crimping ammo, not even for my semis.
    dirtyhabit and Simo like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Cheers Dogmatix, some great info to digest there. Yep just found some of the Hornady 75g projs so may just start there. Cheers mate!!!

2206H gives better speed in sub 18" tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    2206H gives better speed in sub 18" tubes
    For a short (12.5") barrel would BM2 be better again? or is 2206H the go? running Hornady 68gr BTHP's

Lots of handy info in this thread,

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Im loading 25 grains of 2206h with sierra 65gr gamekings and 69gr match
    Snap. And 25gr with some Hornady 55gr SP for just plinking & fun rounds as they're cheap as.

16 inch bbl so roger that on the faster powder...

Mines a 14.5inch barrel , havent calculated any speeds yet

I'm running a 16" .223 match chambered Walther barrel, so gives me good speed, ie 2900 fps with 65gn GKs.
    Also running a 11.5" 5.56 chambered Colt barrel. Speed is down, only 2500fps with the 65s, as only loading to .223 specs and for accuracy (0.5 MOA). Could go faster, just haven't gone for a new powder yet or loaded up the 55gn GK HPBTs.
    Welcome to Sako club.