Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Reloading the .223r to low velocity

Reloading the .223r to low velocity

Hi!
    I am about to start reloading my .223r and i want the same velocity as a 22hornet but with a 55grains fmj. (Around 700m/sec)
    Anyone done anything similar?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Vafanskajagmeddentill View Post
    Hi!
    I am about to start reloading my .223r and i want the same velocity as a 22hornet but with a 55grains fmj. (Around 700m/sec)
    Anyone done anything similar?

Yep ive downloaded 223 55gr to around 2100 fps very accurately using 14gr of IMR 4198.
    rupert, takbok and Steelisreal like this.

GWH
    16gr gave 2350 fps and 18gr gave 2594 fps. Those two powder charges werent quite as tight on the grouping but still quite acceptable at .6 inch, the 14gr load was .3 inch!
    takbok likes this.

Okey. Just have to translate that to either Vihtavuori or Norma powder.
    Feelin kind of nervous around the slower loads...

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Vafanskajagmeddentill View Post
    Okey. Just have to translate that to either Vihtavuori or Norma powder.
    Feelin kind of nervous around the slower loads...

NO Don't do that.

You cant run that light with any powder. Imr 4198 is the powder that remington used in there reduced recoil youth loads.

Other powders could be very dangerous.

Greetings,
    Somewhere between 20 and 24 grains of AR2206H (H4895) should give the velocity you want. 20 grains is still well above the 60% of maximum given by Hodgdons for reduced loads with this powder.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    Somewhere between 20 and 24 grains of AR2206H (H4895) should give the velocity you want. 20 grains is still well above the 60% of maximum given by Hodgdons for reduced loads with this powder.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Yes H4895 is often used for reduced loads in any cartridge that Hodgdon lists normal load data using that powder. Can go down to 60% of the max charge.

In my testing with 7mm08, 260 rem and 223, the accuracy with reduced H4895 (AR2206H) loads isnt that great. When i first started looking into reduced loads a few years ago, i found some good info from a guy in the US that did lots of reduced loads, and knew for a fact that Remington used IMR4198 in their youth loads, it gives better accuracy than the reduced charges of H4895. He found this, and i have too in my testing.

For anyone interested 30-32 gr of IMR4198 is a nice sweet spot in both 7mm08 and 260 Rem with 120gr projectiles for youth/reduced recoil loads.
    Steelisreal likes this.

What's the appeal of a reduced 223 load?
    Less noise, barrel heat?

Greetings GWH and All,
    Agree on poor accuracy and also smoked cases when you get down close to 60% of max with AR2206H but for the .308 and .303 this seems to improve for me once I have worked up to 70% and can be excellent above 80 %. Probably varies from case to case. Only one way to find out for sure.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    What's the appeal of a reduced 223 load?
    Less noise, barrel heat?
    Lots of reasons - trying to minimise propellant/gas noise whilst increasing performance over a 22LR. Super useful if you don't have the funds to buy a 17 HMR but have a 223. Not sure about the OP's motives, but I'm trying a similar thing as the properties I hunt on aren't large. And if I can reload for similar money to 17hmr ammo then that's an extra bonus as I like to reload and also experiment. More time shooting one rifle is good.

I've also found reduced loads useful to get beginners comfortable with shooting a bigger rifle than they're used to before introducing the full power loads. I know in the case of the 223 this is minor, but for someone totally new to firearms it's good to work up regardless, particularly if the rifle isn't suppressed.
    GWH and Beetroot like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Lots of reasons - trying to minimise propellant/gas noise whilst increasing performance over a 22LR. Super useful if you don't have the funds to buy a 17 HMR but have a 223. Not sure about the OP's motives, but I'm trying a similar thing as the properties I hunt on aren't large. And if I can reload for similar money to 17hmr ammo then that's an extra bonus as I like to reload and also experiment. More time shooting one rifle is good.

I've also found reduced loads useful to get beginners comfortable with shooting a bigger rifle than they're used to before introducing the full power loads. I know in the case of the 223 this is minor, but for someone totally new to firearms it's good to work up regardless, particularly if the rifle isn't suppressed.
    Yes my reasons were for reduced recoil for little kids mainly, I also like experimenting for the sake of it to a lesser degree ;-).

My 8 year old daughter didnt like shooting full power 223 55gr loads, but reduced 55gr loads had virtually no recoil, but offered a big increase in performance over her 22lr.
    Beetroot and Steelisreal like this.

Trailboss an option?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Putting on the ADI salesman hat for a second... I use AP100. It's normally used in pistol cartridges which is makes a lot of folk nervous. About 11gr will give roughly 2400ft/s with a 55gr bullet and 12gr will give around 2600ft/s with a 50gr bullet. Roughly 22 Hornet level loads. You get enough chamber pressure to seal properly so no sooty cases. It's bulky enough to get a good case fill, so it's not position sensitive and velocities aren't all over the place. It burns up fast so you get low muzzle pressure meaning it suppresses exceptionally well with less hot gas for the suppressor to deal with. Accurate too.

Trail Boss is another option. With a 40 grain bullet I got roughly 2000ft/s which puts it right around 22 Magnum levels.

Have also used it in 300 Blackout, and 44 Mag for subs.
    rupert, GWH and Micky Duck like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Trailboss an option?
    I'm not certain, but I think with trail boss you may struggle to get enough in to run them at the velocities I was looking for.

Edit, just seen Pommy's reply, so obviously Trailboss is an option then ;-) I have no experience with TB.
    Last edited by GWH; 27-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.

trailboss is piece of piss to use.....especially if you have a set of LEE spoons...same volume as your normal load will give you a starting point.
    for what its worth 24.5grns of 2206 was my go to load for years....its not going to be hard to drop your powder charge a little bit at a time,or just look at starting load data....with .223 the difference between mild load and hot load isnt much,the volume of out put is noticable,even with suppressor.Ive always run mine closer to 222 speeds and now use 50grn projectiles for nearly everything. if you want the ultimate plinking load really cheap.....bore primer pocket out to fit a shotgun primer and use airgun pellet.....